Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X Crashing on surface rough pocket

Bruce Caulley

Morning all,

I have a solid model that I can't get a surface rough pocket to work. I get:

Bad trim surface found - use analyse test surfaces check model to find others

and:

Toolpath calculation error, contact your Authorised mastecam reseller.

And then it usually crashes.

Model is a solid supplied by the customer, there are no surfaces. If I analyze it it says 0 errors so does anyone know WTF is going on?

BTW I tried the new HS toolpaths too with the same result.

Bruce

IGES frown.gif I did the fixture assembly design in solidworks and then inported the lot into MC as a parasolid.

I have tried creatinf surfaces and then creating solid from surfaces, but it goes no-where from there.

Next attempt: Re-import the IGES direct. (Sounds obvious now doesn't it)

Bruce

I imported the model into SW2007 beta1 and ran

import diagnostics. It found one bad face in one of those holes that break into the floor.

Repairs were successful and I broght the new solid back into X. Still got the same error

when applying toolpaths though.

Pete, I tried those checks and didn't get a problem. Did you get any on your system? Once it came in from SW it was a good solid and "Analyze check solid" found zero errors. creating surfaces from solids gave me a couple of untrimmed surfaces, but who hasn't had those before. Even selecting just the flat floors in the pocket and using a boundary gave me a crash.

Anyway, the job is done now. I didn't really need to use a surface path on this and would have normally just used 2d pockets on geo broken at intersections, but I thought it strange enough that I ended up spending 2 hours arsing about on something that would have only saved me 5 minutes and would have generated a longer cycletime anyway. We've all done that before biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help fellas cheers.gif

Bruce

I messed with your file for a few min Bruce.

Your error comes from a bad surface trim carrying over to the parasolid.

All I did was to convert back to surfs and untrim the two bad trim surfs on the end of the part where the 2 side holes are drilled thru the corner radius and I was able to crunch the rough/pocket/.

Something tells me it may also have something to do with the buggy WCS.

What I did was to IGES out the surfs so the WCS got wiped clean. I deleted the tube surfs for the 2 side holes. But maybe it is just an X thing....***shrugs***

I was in ver 9 BTW when I recrunched the rough/pocket.

I always fall back on 9 the first sign of trouble and bypass the frustration...

Murlin teh has no loyality to X....

I have had several jobs that X would NOT do, but 9 worked flawlessly....not to bash X because I like it alot.....I just need to get er done....

I think the solid chaining is the problem on this particular model. I now have a drilling op on the side with 4 points, but they all backplot as 1 hole in the wrong position. This isn't the first problem I have had with solid chains/points with models from this customer, so I will bundle them up and send them to QC.

Bruce

Bruce I've been on vacation I had a look at your file and I had no prob creating a toolpath.

I created surfaces from the solid it had 3 self intersecting surfaces I deleted them used the surfaces as geom in your toolpath and it generated in less than 30 seconds.

There are 3 points color 14 where the 3 bad surfaces where.I put it back on the FTP site as Pita_Dave

You have mail