Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface trim to curves problem

nickelback

When I am trying to trim a flat surface to curves I am getting the error box that states (surface boundary not closed). I analyzed the curve using the (chain,analyze) and it goes all the way around the curve with no problems. I know for a fact that the curve has no breaks in it. Is there a tolerance setting or something in the options that is causing me problems? bonk.gif

i've had many problems with this function in the past, and reported many, but i got tired of sounding like a broken record, so i just grind my teeth and do workarounds. can't say yet for X, but at least as far as v9, they still exist.

so after you've checked your chains validity,

some things that may work: 1.)squash chain as someone said; 2.)try to eliminate splines. lines and arcs seem to work better; 3.)when possible as a last resort, create a new surface. i can't figure out why one flat, untrimmed surface won't trim to a single line in a flat plane, but create another, and it will trim fine. mad.gif unfortunately, you cannot recreate more complex surfaces, so that's where this workaround won't help.

hth and lots of luck!

Nickelback, if you can upload the part to the ftp site, we can take a look at it. It will also be helpful if you let us know what version of Mastercam you are running.

As far as the message you are receiving, your curves may well form a closed boundary, but they might not intersect fully with the surface you are trying to trim. Good things to check (just to be safe) are if you are trimming in the current view, make sure your curves overlap the surface in that construction plane. If you are trimming to the surface normal (at least in X) you will be able to specify a maximum distance from the surface that the curves may lay. If you are having trouble with one option, try the other. Those would be the first things I would check without having seen the part.