Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Forming Question

Mastercam for me says 1407 rpm with a feedrate of 43.980263.

I have a HAAS conversion formula chart here that gives a formula for mill tapping feedrate..

IPM= 1/TPI x RPM

IPM= 1/32x 1407= 43.96875

Also doublecheck and make sure you have TAP G84 selected, I don't know how often I've let it at drill and screwed up holes.

What is the size of your machine/spindle? Does it have rigid tapping? A lot of the older machines can't even come close to the new tapping speeds. The spindle tends to lag behind and are slow in reversing the spindle. On the big machines I use 20sfpm, yeah it's slow but we don't do production so it's just to get the job done. Just keep stepping it up till you find your limit if you want.

just curious..

Do you have a "J" in you tap line command?

with rigid tap it allows you to go out of the hole with the tap quicker then enter. For example a J2 in the command line will go twice as fast out as in, J3 three times as fast, all the way up to J9. I was just thinking if it was in there it might be torqueing the tap on the reverse speed increase if you had it in there.

For thread forming it is not quite cut and dry on drill sizes depends on H or D number tap and speeds and feeds are important try to keep them at even numbers. Equaly important id coolant and concentration level of the coolant. Last does your machine have rigid tapping and are you using a compression retention type of holder.

P.S. Balax has an online catalog you can print out they have a great tech. section.