Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how-slow drilling cycle when breaking thru

GeoGirl

Hi Everyone,

I did a search first and could not find this topic, so, now I have to ask.

Is there a way to slow the feed when drilling before you break through? Do you have to do a seperate operation to finish the holes??

Or, is it not a concern when CNC drilling as opposed to manual drilling. (drill edges break maybe because it can suck it through)?

Thanks, any advice appreciated eh?

GeoGirl headscratch.gif

Use a sharp drill along with proper feeds and speeds and you shouldn't have an issue with most materials. However, with some materials it very desireable to have a "break through" feedrate that kicks in at a specific depth. This would be a custom drill cycle added to your post to output the code longhand. I don't know of a canned cycle that supports multiple feedrates based on depth on any machine.

HTH

one other issue i think you might want to address is whether or not the drill is in a drill chuck or morse taper...if you can avoid either of these and collet your drill then you wont have the problem with the drill slipping in the chuck when you break through or being pulled out of the morse taper...it doesnt happen often but when it does the circumstances can be devastating if your not near the machine when it happens

I know if you are pushing the limit, they recommend that you slow down before break through, I have some Mits drills I am testing in the moment, right now I am running 1/8 coolant through, 10 X D with no peck at 15000 rpm at 60 ipm, no peck (material Aluminium)

They told me (Mits) that I might can run it at 150ipm, but then I have to slow down before break through. I was thinking just writting it as pure code, and then copy/paste the Z moves.

X0. Y0.

Z-1.15 F150.

N1

Z-1.25 F30.

Will this be covered in X2?

Anybody knows something about X2?

I just don´t understand, because everybody often needs it (Boring on tubes an so...).

It´s like the holder definition thing, why can I just verify ONE kind of holder?

Ok maybe the collision can be checked know in HST, but when I verify, the definded holder is still not there.

Whats the Problem?