Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Weird stuff happening

Mcam Nut

I know people were having problems with files being corrupt when saving a file, but whats going on with me dosnt make any sense. I saved a file and backed it up, and in both files the toolpaths have changed. eg. my surface finish flowline toolpaths changed to surface rough pocket, some of my operations say tool does not exist, my 3d contours are now 2d etc... Is this a bug or for some reason has my file become corrupt? banghead.gif

McamNut,

Give QC a call.I have had this problem many times before.Gotta a couple of questions for ya

Do you work across a network?

Are you coping ops from 1 file to another?

Are you doing a "Save As" to save for op2 keeping the existiong tool list?

I have had that happen to me as well. I think I have discovered (at least for me) what the problem was. We also run UG, if I have UG open and then open MasterCAM all is well. However if MasterCAM is open and UG is opened after MCAM all heck seemed to break loose ie..... Toolpaths moving completely of the part, corrupted tool paths, ops changing sequence, just all kinds of horrible stuff.

curse.gif

well i dont use UG, but i do jump around alot from mcam to inventor, to autcad etc. maybe this is the cause.

we do have a level 2 seat that people have been having simular problems on, and this pc dosnt have anything like that installed on it.

well im having more problems today, I opened a file I spent about 12 hrs programming, and all my operations now say either 0 chains, or 0 points etc. I really like mcx, but i am having a hard time explaining to management the problems I am having, there solution is always go back to v9. I am so used to x now, that I really dont want to go back.

I've been having some problems with saved files too. I recently called up a file saved the day before and the opperations were all wrong. The nc file names and opps were from a different program I was working on that same day, but when i backplot the file it looks like the correct file I had programmed. I opened 10 backup files that were saved while I was working and they were all changed as well...so much for auto-backup. The only thing i've seen with this and other files I've lost is that I merged solid files in or altered an existing file.

Na Dtuath,

Welcome to the Forum

cheers.gif

Weird stuff happening, yup, that is what many of us are experiencing right now and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it, but we are.

There's unfortunately not much to tell you. Files have and are being sent to QC, they are on it.

quote:

Weird stuff happening

Tell me about it!

Last night I got home, cooked dinner, and just as I was seasoning it with some black pepper. The shaker top was gone! I dumped the whole bottle on meh dinner. Now I know no one was in the house from the time I left till I got home. Go figure!

headscratch.gif

quote:

Last night I got home, cooked dinner, and just as I was seasoning it with some black pepper. The shaker top was gone! I dumped the whole bottle on meh dinner.

Ralph Malph wasn't over, was he? biggrin.gif

Thad teh TV Land

I had a file open Friday. A mill file and saved it, started a new lathe file. saved it and reopened the original mill file and had a bunch of dirty ops. tried to regen, got the warning that helical toolpaths were not allowed in entry. Took me a bit to understand that it was thinking this was a lathe...machine definition was a mill...

Shut it down and re opened the file and all was well....

Strange but true.

Problem is these things cost me time to figure out

When I first installed X I wasn't having thee problems, so I am at a loss as to why they should be happening now.

I opened a file I started last week and added some more ops. Saved a few times. Merged a solid file in and moved it into place. Went to save the file and started getting solid kernel error messages. Reopened it...all my toolpath ops are gone but the tool groups are still there. All the backup files that were saved today are corrupt as well...but not the ones saved when I first created the file last week...

Glad I'm not the only MCX user having problems and going grey.

One thing I can say is since I turned off "Auto Save" I have not had any problems might be all coincidence.It's been a whole day with no crashes biggrin.gif

I would suggest to any one using "Auto Save" to turn it off.

Well I wish I could say that autosave was my problem, I dont use it, I found I was overwriting to many programs with it on. Has anyone had any problems with there sim becoming disconected? we have a seat here that has been having that problem since day 1, we had a parrallel sim at first, thought that was the prob, went to usb, and still get the error 3-4 times a day. Our reseller thinks its a pc issue, but I use the exact same pc specs, and this dosnt happen to me.

Just a follow up to this thread.I spent an hour or so yesterday with Ryan from CNC Software on a GoTo Meeting trying to reproduce the error that we are getting on file reopen.I reprogrammed the same part that I posted on the ftp site a few days back and could not get MCX to reproduce the errors.That being said I know that there are quite a few other users having the same problems that I am so I know at least I am not insane.

McamNut on the sim error we were having the same problem for quit awhile tried many things. The only thing that solved this was copying the hard drive off of a pc that doesnt get the error to the one that does and it solved the problem. This was the last chance effort before we removed and reinstalled everything saved a little time copying.