Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Mini Mill

maestro

Anyone out there using a Haas Mini Mill. If so, what are your opinions of it. I have a small business that I run in my spare time making parts for RC cars that is starting to kind of take off and am looking to replace my ageing Hurco KMB1 with something a little more productive.

I like it, it is a nice "Mini" machine. Ours are around 5 years old, it got a 6000 rpm spindle on it, I have been cutting everything from D2, Aluminium and plastic on this thing. It is not very rigid, with a 5hp motor on it you are pretty limited to heavy cuts, but you will be just fine using 1/2 carbide endmill in steel.

2 things to keep in mind on this machine, you have a limited length on your tools, because of the toolchanger, and the spindle is cooled by your coolant passing by, what means if you have to do any dry machining, you have to have your coolant curcualting.

HTH

Lars

(Sorry about bad spelling)

Thanks for the compliments guys. Working a regular programming job for a small aerospace shop and then go home and work makes for long day sometimes. This machine would greatly increase my capacity and productivity over my present Hurco KMB1 knee mill with a manual toolchanger. Plus eliminate a lot of the mess on the floor.

Used Haas Mini mills are quite rare and usually command high prices for a 5 or 6 year old machine.. they are going for about 23 to 25K and you can buy a new one for 30k

I have a 2000 with about 4k hours (I think) on it now. I paid 24 for it a year ago. It has just kept on makeing me money

I just bought a Sharp 2412s yesterday with a 10k spindle, Fanuc 0im control and a bunch of extras. You may want to look at that as well.

I'll see if I can find you some links, we found a few when we were looking for a lathe... Like Jim said, they don't go cheap. the Hurco VM1 would be a machine to look at also, they have a bit more Z travel, but think they are more money. Our local rep quoted us around $48k, but that was with some options.

For the past 5 or 6 years, it seems like Haas mini mills have been the de-facto standard for small affordable machines. I've had good experience with them. A few shortcomings, but for 30k they get the job done. HOWEVER I have noticed alot more machines that size and price on the market these days, with ALOT better specs on paper. (that Sharp in particular) I would take a trip to IMTS this september and really check the current market out.

p.s. The Haas mini-mill is the only haas product that I have had good experience with.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

When programming for these machines... think gutless. LOW HP so if you go light and fast you're better of. Large diameter tools are going to be a byotch so if you can, forget about using them. You can easily stall one of these bad boys with a 3/8 EM.

JM2C

Something to think about. The Haas mini Mill can be a 4 or even 5 axis machine. If you add a HA5C indexer these things become huge money makers. This indexer is designed to receive a chuck and fixtures can be mounted in its place. True 4 axis for under $60,000 is tuff to beat.

Look at the Super Mini Mill the 10,000 RPM spindle will be worth it on your parts.

I run 2 and have never had any machine problems, just operator(me) errors twice. For what you want to do, I think it'd work great. Some advice though, get the programmable coolant and the clear cover definitely. The first machine we got didn't have either and you have to adjust your coolant for each tool at toolchanges. The cover helps keep the coolant in the machine instead of spraying the floor, of course properly positioned coolant nozzels do this to, but I like to set the coolant in a neutral postion so I wasn't changing it all the time.

quote:

Something to think about. The Haas mini Mill can be a 4 or even 5 axis machine. If you add a HA5C indexer these things become huge money makers. This indexer is designed to receive a chuck and fixtures can be mounted in its place. True 4 axis for under $60,000 is tuff to beat.

Look at the Super Mini Mill the 10,000 RPM spindle will be worth it on your parts.

I just bought a 2412s Sharp

Fanuc OiM control, wired for a fourth, 16 tools, bigger travels and box ways, 10k spindle with a chiller, 120 blocks of look ahead, chip conveyer, for $55k delivered on my floor. That's shipping, and rigging. Everything.

I have a 4th for the machine already, so that saved me some money. More power, (not a lot) more travel, more tools, and more rigidity for less money

And the best thing is...I don't have to talk to Selway curse.gif