Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Balancing tool holders

Bob W.

I just took delivery of a new Haas VF2-SS and I need to order 20 tool holders (CT40). I was planning on getting ER16 and ER32 collet holders and I was curious about balancing these. The machine has a 12000rpm spindle and I plan to run it at this fairly often. Will these tool holdres need to be balanced?

My current tool holders are made by YG though I'm not sure which brand I will go with for the new holders. How do YG and Command holders compare? Is there a web site for YG?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

We have Command holders here and they are all balanced to 20,000 RPM (very nice product). They say any thing over 5,000 should be balanced, but that is a salesman talking. I personally don't like the ER collets that much for any thing other than drills, thay don't seem to hold as good as a TG collet.

HTH

With heat shrink how long does it take to change tools? I run a lot of prototypes so I change tools often and this could be an issue. I guess I could get 6-8 heat shrink holders for the standard sizes (.125", .1875", .375", etc...) and just leave the end mills in those permanently and use ER collets for the other stuff (drills, taps, etc...).

What do the heat shrink holders cost? How expensive is the device to heat them up for changing tools?

Thanks for the input,

Bob

BB,

We,ve been trying out HPI collet chucks for our new 13000 RPM spindles for milling. We've been very pleased with them. We're using a variety of styles. HMX comes in many different lengths and diameters for milling and the HMC holders are great for larger endmills i.e. 3/8" - 3/4".

They have a competitive price if you can get a distributor to deal with you. We got our local supplier to come down 33% to compete with the tool package we purchased with the machine.

Bob YG has a good line of holders balanced out of the box, they are good holders! I ran these on the same machine with out any issues holding tight tols. or chatter issues. That shop ran lots of alum.

I'm sure you would be more than happy with these and they cost a lot less than Command, at least the last time I checked.