Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Have I just smoke blown where the sun don't shine

terry5357

I just had this new guy who has been programming for 15+ years, but has never run a machine, tell me that people are cutting still at 70 rockwell with a 1/2" carb end mill running 20,000 rpm.

I am old school and 20,000 rpm on a 1/2 inch cutter is over 2500 sfm. Have I been in the dark for so long that this is truly happening? also he stated that this was done in roughing operations,

high speed light cut (.05 depth). Am I an old fool or is he talking sh*t

I'm not saying that 70rc can't be cut. I just haven't seen many tools that the corners would hold up to such an incredibly high SFM. THis guy was talking like this was happening everywhere and was now the norm. Like I said, he is a software driver with no machining experience, thats the kind of person I start doubting the validity of their statements

What tools can you get even close to that SFM with Hardmill?

We cut some steel, but usually about 1/4 of the SFM with a semi-conventional approach.

How do you cut it? Small stepdown?

I'd like to see that. *Ponders operator's reactoin

Ok so "yes it IS done. but! not very often and not the norm as he was descrbing it. So my assumption is correct ********...........LOL.

You just can't believe much of what a non machining programmer says........nothing against the ones that have their **** together and understand speeds, feeds and machining in the real world

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

62 is the hardest I've cut before, finishing with a CBN Ball E/M (me thinks... was a number of years ago) 1/4 Ball E/M 19,550 @92 IPM. So guess it's not out of the realm.

I'm not sure how long the corners would hold up though... guess it would depend on the tool material. Ceramic may hold at the SFM... I've turned HSS using Ceramic Inserts. Not sure what the hardness of HSS is but it's pretty darn hard.

I would not quite throw up the bs.gif flag, but I'd certainly have it handy. biggrin.gif

I would have to dissagree, imo he would of never made it that long programming if he didnt know s&f, doc, tooling. He would probally know alot more then you guys are giving him credit for. if he didnt know this stuff you would have everyone changing programs on the controller, and I dont think that would last very long.

jm2c

Do-albe?

Its being done ...check out Okuma's Gosiger website

I was there 3 weeks ago in Michigan and got blown away with what they are pulling off...

Check out Feta and Mitubishi cutters in the chrome coated carbide tools that are coming out in their cataloges.... biggrin.gif

There is a report I did up in here for what they are using and speeds and feeds....minimum speeds were 15000 rpm

tis called Seriously Hard Milling

[ 11-22-2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Jack Neelands - Rho-Can Machine. ]

quote:

The GUY has never run a machine

best programmer I ever knew did't know feed hold

from cycle start... never spent a day on the floor

He had a PHD in physics but fell in love with Catia and got into the CAM side of things. He works all over the world as a Catia contractor

lol thats sounds kinda like what im dealing with here - we have FIRED!!! 11 contract guys in the last yr and one engineering manager. Good help is realyl hard to find these days. I have yet to ever see a programmer worth a sh$$ with no machine experience. WE have given up and are now giving machinst from the floor a shot in programming. Cant be no worse then the contract people.

quote:

I've done some resinking of forging dies, 65-68Rc or so

Must have been some extremely shallow imp, low detail, press forging dies...

I been sinking dies for almost 30 years and the hardest thing I have cut is the stelite on the trimmers....I think that must be 60ish

Most dies would bust into a million pieces from die flex...

The difference between 62 to 70 RC is like crossing the Atlantic...

It can be done but the only thing I can think of is headscratch.gif why?

The head pressure would turn a million dollar machine into putty in less than 6 months...

I have seen guys wear out a brand new Hydrotel in less than a year, slabing with a 2" future mill using TNMA 438's by not keeping the inserts changed....and those machines are massive...chips stringing off glowing red....

70 RC @ .05 would still have alot of head pressure on that shallow of a cut with a half inch ball...

The spindle wouldn't last long...

BTW Micrograin carbide is 75ish RC....probably standard carbide is around 70 RC.....

[ 11-23-2006, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]