Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC IN THE SHOP

Frank

Hi all:

With 35 CNC machines we are considering useing DNC to link them all, to get rid of disks,laptops, and greco's. I have always just downloaded my programs on floppy disks, or if too large, cd-r's . So this will be a whole new adventure, that's been a long time coming. Tommorrow we have a salesman coming to demonstrate Win DNC, and Multi-DNC. And we are finding out there are a lot of DNC software avialable, I was hopeing someone on this forum can give me some kind of insight, or recomend a good one to use.

Thanks,

Frank biggrin.gif

Hard to imagine more than 2 machines without having them on line. If any of your machines or the computers that drip feed them are capable of ethernet- I would highly reccomend that. You can drag and drop programs windows style even in dos machines, edit from your desktop a program in the controller. Coax style cable using Tcp/ip or Net Beui as protocol are capable of 320 feet of clean signal.

Hello,

I would recommend Cimco DNC-Max. This is the software we have here and we found out that this software allowed us to do whatever we wanted. We even had the Cimco developpers put in some new applications within the software for free. It was a condition fur us to buy the software. I anly have good words for Cimco. You can find more info for Cimco by using the link at the bottom of this page.

Frank,

I presently have 8 machines hooked up to a Greco unit. That system isnt bad but we move machines around alot. I also have 5 machines hooked up to a wireless system that is great! You can move your machine anywhere in the shop and no wires! The machines all have MDSI controls and my IS dept claims that it should not be a problem with the Fanuc controls. You might wnat to look at incorporating wireless with your new DNC system.

John

Frank,

I tend to agree with Martin G. We are a reseller of Cimco Integration and, to put it simply, it WORKS. To give you an idea, we used to sell Predator, which was known as the best in the business, up until about a year ago. Then we found Cimco and it's been at least 100 percent better, more efficient and easier to use than anything else out there. Not to step on Jay's toes, Predator DNC works fine, Cimco DNC Max outperforms EVERYTHING. It will even read ANY port connection (USB, LAN network, RS232, serial, ethernet, etc..) to ANY machine (CNC, Laptop, desktop, etc..) AUTOMATICALLY upon bootup as well as providing the only TRUE Wireless support. You turn on a computer that's networked or connected in any way and it will instantly read that connection and inform the DNC MAX administrator that there's another connection being made. Not only that, but you will have REAL-Time speed and feed adjustment, TO THE CODE as it's being sent to the CNC. One of my colleagues was Predator's #1 DNC installer. He told me to say that CIMCO simply works like "nothing else out there". I used to work at another facility which was using Predator to communicate to 2 machines. It worked fine there. Later, at my current employment, I watched my colleague, the Predator DNC installer/application engineer, try to crash CIMCO and he couldn't do it. I'm trying to keep this advice as unbiased as possible. I can only say, without a doubt in my head, that CIMCO DNC MAX is the best DNC software out there. Go to this site to learn more about it. CIMCO Integration Sorry for the long post. I get excited when talking about this incredible product. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

[ 02-22-2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]

Frank, we use Focal Point.(by CNC Engineering)

It works fine for us. We've been using it for about 8 yrs.

I would suggest do some research, ask questions and make sure it does what you want it to do. Each system will have it's own options/advantages.

......and last but most important...When you have the DNC sytem installed and hooked to all your machines.......before the technician leaves, double check to verify all your machines are communicating correctly.

Hi Frank,

I recommend to use Cimco DNC. We have 25 machines in our shop. we tried few softwares and we finally choosen Cimco DNC. With Cimco You can send or receive the CNC programs at the machine, plus you get back the confirmation messages where you save or where you read from.

Truely

Thanks all for the great responses biggrin.gif . We talked to a salesman today, and are weighing our options. The big guy needs to justify cost. We (he) hasn't decieded to use DNC in our shop yet, but just wanted to get a good idea of the cost. Thanks for all the e-mails, and as soon as we (he) deciedes yeah or neah, I will post again on this board our (his) decision.

Thanks again,

Frank

cool.gif