Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Who will win Hockey Gold?

Webby

On paper, Canada should've glided into the finals. And if there would've been a few substiutions (Joe Thornton is my, and many others, obvious first choice) , it would've been even easier. The States have a good skating team, but lack in many areas (Mike Richter is their only goalie). However, there have been a lot of surprises in these Olympics, so I guess it's a toss-up. But as a product of the Canadian minor hockey system, I have proudly vote for Wayne's troops.

PS: If team USA wins, I will never hear the end of it from my American better-half rolleyes.gif

I voted for team USA to win. Canada hasn't meshed as a team yet. I feel that it is just a matter of time for Team Canada to put it all together and I hope it isn't tomorrow. Anyway I'm looking foward to a great game. USA/Russia in the third period Friday night had me standing up and yelling at the TV screen. I hope this game provide that kind of excitement.

Mike

Fankly I don't know what the fuss is about. They all play for the NHL. Whether they are from Canada or the US, almost all the players on both teams are also members-teamates from the professional league. Yes, Congrats to Canada but it was really just like the All-Star game of the NHL. I think the Olympics should be limited to strictly amateur(sp?) athletes. The "Dream Team" of the summer Olympics is a prime example. They're all pro-NBA players. Some of the other countries didn't have a chance. The pros also get paid a lot of money in their regular careers. Why should they get more money and recognition and sponsorship for being on an Olympic team as well? Wasn't the whole idea of the Olympics to watch who was up and coming in those sports which were not mainstream or had no professional equivalent? I am not saying that the Olympics is not a great sports venue but rather the professionals should be excluded. They made their choice by going pro in the first place. Let's give non-pros a chance to proove themselves as they do in some of the other sporting events (i.e. skating, sledding, skiing, biathlon, luge, and many others which didn't get any coverage at all). Sorry for the rant. Just MHO. smile.gif

[ 02-25-2002, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]

In order to get the best athletes you have pro's, and the best athletes are pro's. remember the eastern block countries had the government support their (PRO Athletes)., and everyone was gettin the a__ kicked out of them.

But it would be nice to see real amateurs representing all countries for the games. But times have changed.

Congrat's to the Candadian hockey team, oh can we file a protest of some kind. biggrin.gif

Mike

[ 02-25-2002, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: limitless creativity ]

Close. Actually, the big hockey rivalry used to be Canada/former-Soviet Union for the longest time. That rivalry was both athletic and political. But in recent years, the American hockey program has improved a fair amount as well as other countries such as Sweden.

I think the main reason that Canadians are especially proud of the double-gold in Olypmic hockey is because it was against an American team. Because of the depreciated value of the Canadian dollar, many professional hockey teams from the NHL are now located in the US. The teams from smaller Canadian cities have moved to US cities and only six Canadian teams remain. New teams are being added to American cities where hockey is not the main attraction (Ex: southern US states). However, the majority of players are still Canadian. What the double-gold means to Canada is that the game we invented is still ours. Hockey is a cultural identity, much like baseball is in the US and soccer (football) is in the rest of the world. I hope that begins to explain it...from a Canadian POV biggrin.gif