Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple Users, Same Computer?

I was wondering if anyone is using X2 on a computer with multiple users, with seperate profiles for each user. How does each user load X2 w/their preferances?

Is it as simple as pointing X2 defaults,MD,CD,Posts,Tools etc, to the my documents folder and each user keeps their related files in his/her own my documents folder?

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,

Troy

Troy,

We have a couple of guys who like their custom setup. They've copied and renamed files, such as Jim.config, Jim.defaults, .mtb, etc and modified them to their liking. Then they added a desktop shortcut that uses their config. All the customized files reside in the normal MC folders.

Thad

Adding your config to the shortcut as you have in your example is enough. Then, as you also mentioned, your custom config will point to your custom defauts, .kmp, .mtb, etc.

quote:

Has anyone tried it the way i described in the post?

Do you mean seperate Windows users? I'm not exactly sure how that would work. With multiple people sharing the same computer, it would be a lot of logging on and off. Each time, you'd have to re-open MC again.

Thad

Thanks Thad,

Yes I meant multiple windows users, the senerio is for a company I do some consulting for and they already log in and out as the programmer changes, also there are multiple workstations each programmer can log into and by using " my document " the settings would follow you with your roaming profile no matter where you logged on from. ( At least in Theory )

I will give it a try and see how it workes out.

If the different guys are on different shifts, it sounds doable. If it's like it is here where I work, you're constantly jumping in and out along with the other 3 guys sharing the seat. Everytime you log in, you close the other guy's session of MC, along with anything else that is open. Then he comes back and yours get closed as he logs in. That would suck! biggrin.gif

Thad

• 5 months later...

Troy,

I work at a company where there are over 50 users on three shifts we all have our own log in

user name with the user name comes our own drive in this case M: drive. I have configured a mcamx directory to duplicate the c drive mcamx2 directory with all the machine definitions ,posts, tools and a dummy config file, for Mill Lathe and Wire folders(C:McamX2mastercam.exe M:mcamx2configUSER.config.

Each user can copy this folder to their M drive and use the path above. We set-up the icon to pull the config from our network drive without " " and it works fine.

We also set up a shortcut folder for c config and M config on each desktop to manually move the config file changes as Todd mentioned above. The reason we set this up is that some people like to edit their post and have different settings colors etc.. this way they only change their settings and it doesn't affect all the other people that use the computer and how they want to use the system.