Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone have a Haas VFss series mill? comments on them?

Wally J

Hi Guys,, I have been busy for a while and

have not been reading any forum posts recently

frown.gif but, I would like some input from the

resident gurus.. cheers.gif On a new Haas VMC VF3 SS

Any problems that anyone knows about on these mills?

Spindle runs 12000 RPM so I may have to look at balanced tooling,, headscratch.gif and a balancer

as well,,,If I stay under 10000 I could just get a VF4 instead..or TSC... so many options and never enough $$ to spend on em.

Most every thing we do is aluminum extrusion or 6061 billet tongue.gif Ez MoNe I know,,

Any and all comments for or against the VF3ss will

be appreciated we have a limited budget and I need to make the right choice the first time...

I have had Exellent luck with Haas and dont have many reservations on getting a new one.

Since the VF3SS series is a fairly recent offering

I just am looking for some opinions..

Thanks again cheers.gif

Wally

I have a VF2-SS and I don't like the high pitch ball screws. It leaves marks at the quadrants when interpolating circles. I would not buy another unless they installed 8 or 10mm pitch ball screws at the factory. I believe it comes with 14mm screws and it is just too steep and the increased rapid is not worth the cost in finish.

If I tried to order another and the factory would not accomodate my ball screw request I would get a standard VF and upgrade the spindle and tool changer options. Other than that it runs great and runs extremely quiet with the direct drive spindle. The tool changer is remarkably fast as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the floppy drive option. They are no longer shipping these with floppy drives and what you get instead is a USB port in its place. You can also DNC from the USB port which means the ability to DNC 500meg files at lightning speed. No more serial DNC :-).

The high pitch ball screws have been a major problem with the SS series machines and they have yet to completely solve the issues.

Hope this helps,

Bob

I haven't noticed any circle quadrant problems with our VF2SS machine, though I admit it would have to be pretty bad to show up when milling 1.25" holes with a 1/2" endmill. Very fast and smooth and no problems since we bought it new about 15 months ago.

You can buy Techniks tool holders which are cheaper than most of the top brands and are pre balanced to 2.5G at 18,000rpm and not worry about balancing equipment. techniks usa

My buddy has a VF2SS and a VF3SS along with a standard VF2 and a standard VF3. The toolchange time and rapid speeds of the SS are nice, along with the 12K spindle but I have heard a lot about the ballscrew issue and if this would be a problem for you then at least you've heard about it. I don't know what the price difference is but you might want to consider the VF3 with a side-mount toolchanger and just deal with the slower speeds. The "standard" toolchanger in those machines sucks IMO sould the side-mount is well worth the $5K or whatever they get for it now.

C

We have 2 VF3-SS and one has been running for about 1 year and the other for about 6 months. We have not had any big problems with finish so far. I might be misunderstanding the leadscrew pitch problem but if it gives you bad finish wouldn't you just change the feed and speed?