Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Running MC from remote location.

?Mark

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this in a safe, secure, easy and quick way?

Did I mention an easy as well ? wink.gif

I'll be gone for 4 weeks on an extended vacation, and my boss is already worried.

I'll have an access to a fast internet abroad in several places, and need suggestions on how to hook up to my work computer and run mc and post programs within it.

We have a usb hasp (not a network one)

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use remote desktop a lot at my job. My experience with CAD is it runs very slow on a remote desktop session. It felt like it took forever to get anything done. It's not going to be as fluid as working local.

When I work with CAD at home, I bring my hasp home.

On the one running Mastercam. I am not sure how net haps work, if they will read through the internet or not headscratch.gif someone will have to answer that one.

I used gotomypc.com to show a guy how to do some things on his system and he had his hasp on.

Like others have said though, latency will affect you when you work so it may be a little sluggish.

I had a high speed-broadband connect and it was only lagged a little.

Murlin, I'll have access to broadband at all locations I will be visiting. I'm connecting with them thru skype with video on and the connection is quite good.

VBJB, what remote access did you use?

Which way do you guys recommend, "go to my pc" or remote access that comes with win XP ?

Any comments from CNC Software or In-House?

Thanks

cheers.gif

Edit: I don't have a net hasp.

I use XP vnc to connect to a PC at our production facility to access JobBoss. Works ok for limited use, not as fast as using the actual PC.

It seems hard these days to just leave and forget about work for some vacation time.

I had one job that every time I was gone the boss wanted to be able to get a hold of me. Then it seemed like they called everyday I was gone. Then the night shift guys would call every night with problems. Finally I Started keeping track of the time I helped remotely and turned it in as overtime. After that the boss told told everyone to stop calling me because it was costing too much.

Mark I was just given a password and username on a guys gotomypc.comm account and acessed the remote pc from work to his location.

You could run MC in Russia or China over the internet.

It is pretty cool.

When you hook up you get a gotomypc window as the base window.

You can then run any app on that pc and access all its shared folders.

quote:

Murlin, is your work pc on an internal windows domain with a hardware firewall or just one pc connected to the internet like a home pc?

--------------------

Just like a home PC. But it is hooked up to a network router here at work.

We have them all networked together with all the pc's out in the shop that hold all the programs for the machines out on the floor.

The internet is comming to one Sun box.