Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Tool path

ducati

I havnt received my X2 training yet.

I have purchased some training manuals but cant seem to find and tutorials on importing solids and then defining the tool paths. I do my solids in Inventor because I am more familar with the program and would like to set my tool paths in MC.

Can someone point me to some tutorials to help me get started until next month when I go to my training session. As usual...Thanks headscratch.gif

I only use solid toolpathing for the most basic. Surfaces has been much more reliable and accurate (for me), especially on multiaxis.

Place your solid on one level, change levels, change color (I like the dark green), then go Create > Surface > Surface from Solid.

IMHO biggrin.gif

Don't just look at solid selection as a method to create toolpaths!

Remember, whatever you can do to create a toolpath can be used to create geometry. Taking time to play with and learn the selection filters on both the Selection Bar and in the Chaining Dialog Box will pay big dividends. Once you learn how to use the filters to select what you want, creating specific geometry and toolpaths from a solid is a snap.

I've found solid selection very useful for creating simple toolpaths where cutter motion can be suitibly controlled via lead in/out or other options built into the toolpath parameter box. In particular I've found toolpath creation from solids works well with facing, contours, simple pockets, and drill points. (The stock to leave parameter is very useful when the model is drawn to nominal. Plus it helps you keep track of where you wanted the cutter relative to the model when dealing with part revisions.)

When I know the standard toolpath options will not give me what I want, or when I don't want to tie the toolpath to the model, I use solid selection to create lines, curves, surfaces, whatever. After a while I found myself using geometry modification commands more than geometry creation commands. Extracting features from the solid and placing them on different levels or giving them different colors is wonderful for reducing drawing clutter. But, beware of model revisions if you've separated the toolpath from the model.

Truly automagic creation of toolpaths is still a long long way off, even if I did want such a thing.

Lee

quote:

Mastercam x mill and solids by Lin and Shaw published by Scholars international is a great book.

Now that's funny! That book sucked for V9. The tutorials are horrendous...unless you don't mind being told to click on the wrong things, enter the wrong values, given screen shots of the wrong pages, or selecting the wrong tools...yeah, then it's great. That book has the worst tutorials that I have ever seen in a text book. Good luck trying to get in touch with Scholars Int'l or Lin. What a joke!

Thad

Thanks Thad before I read your post I was start writing the name of LIn and Shah to order the book. Now I will not order.

I have the solid tutorial book from in house and is wonderful book. But I am still looking for some advance tutorial or book. I used stramingteacher,is wonderful but cover very basic of solid and surface. Learning by doing yourself is wonderful thing but need lot of time and than still who knows if you are doing the things effective way so I also looking for advance solid and surface tutorial.