Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Hi

@PFABC

I did it 2 times in 3:53

quote:

For my next trick I am going to bump up to 8 gigs RAM and kill my paging file. Have to wait for the new RAM to arrive on Tuesday.

@John

Don't wonder if disabling the pagefile takes no effect, windows is always paging.

And more ram is probably a little bit slower - the OS have to adress more ram, and this also takes time.

[ 10-19-2008, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: sandro ]

quote:

Yes on MC sir.

Jay,

You say that so proud.

Is that the best time to date? Is there any evidence that Mastercam will incorporate multi-core processing to further enhance these results.

Now that these times have been achieved I'm wondering if anyone is open to trying it on a real world file that will separate the men from the boys. This is run software in the real world, not just by manipulating the tolerance but by trying to verify and create STL to use as CAD files fo consecutive toolpaths, remachine operations and the like. Validation on anything engineered in this world is to establish its weakest areas and vulnerabilities.

Keith, you bring up the machining of STL as you feel that mastercam does not do well with STL. do you feel this is a large issue?

(You say that so proud.) Just answering that it did do a good job and that the newer hardware does make a difference.I agree that I am looking forward to when MC will take advantage of the multi core platform.

I know that all have used the one file, it was just a base of one file that all share to see how the computers or as show here hardware doe's make a difference. I am sure that there are more files besides the one that came as a sample. but does this really set much of a difference on how the hardware with compare to other hardware?

Thanks for the input.

quote:

@John

Don't wonder if disabling the pagefile takes no effect, windows is always paging.

And more ram is probably a little bit slower - the OS have to adress more ram, and this also takes time.

This was certainly the case in my testing, I did reinitialize the paging file after my testing.

I have a new motherboard, should be showing up tomorrow, bought an

XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard

ASUS has really pi$$ed me off, so I will not purchase another one. I will return the dead board for replacement and then sell it and be done with ASUS.

So if we're getting sub 4 minute times, on a single core, if we can process those 3 tool paths simultaneously in parallel instead of one at a time it is I think realistic to see sub 2 minutes for a good system.

I have heard multi-core support is coming to a Mastercam installation in the near future.

In the meantime, those who can, will OC

biggrin.gif

While MC is not a multithreaded app all 4 of my Xeon cores show activity running the bench. One core is processing toolpath, one helping with display, and the rest is just the 12Mb shared L2 cache. I have run 2 instances of MC benchmark simultainously with no time difference. I changed cutter size in one .002 smaller just so I wasnt generating the same thing twice.

quote:

Now that these times have been achieved I'm wondering if anyone is open to trying it on a real world file that will separate the men from the boys.

We have some 88 inch wing surfaces that might qualify. I know it isn't MC but a verify of the benchmark might be a good test. Also

quote:

Hi

3:53

Doesn't count. Your in Switzerland. You have metric clocks and most likely running metric Mastercam. Just kidding about the clock but not about MC metric. We run the inch version and there is definately an unfair time advantage for metric. banghead.gif

Run it again in inchs, you'll add 5-10 seconds.

I'd like to see those with MCX3 put a screen capture of the log file like I did below. This eliminates inacurate times from watching a second hand or pushing start/stop buttons. This resides in your system tray. The 8min 5.7...second time is my laptop and is 5 seconds quicker than I clocked it with a stopwatch.

LatopMCX3log.jpg