Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

quote:

thats not a bad deal at all

I really don't need that much computer, but that was too good a deal to pass up.

I went on Dell's workstation page and started building that machine. I quit at $5800 and ordered the stratch and dent from the Outlet Store.

The proccessors are $825 each from NewEgg

and the video card is $1400. I think someone at the Dell Outlet Store screwed up. biggrin.gif

14:30

Desktop (actually under the desk) wink.gif

Dell optiplex GX270

Pentium 4 @ 2.80 Ghz

512mb ram, not sure of speed

Nvidia GEForce4 MX440 with AGP8X, 64mb memory

Windows XP Pro Version 2002, sp2

Surprised me! With only half a gig of ram, I thought it would take longer.

quote:

thought I was lagging way behind. now I know I'm just average.

Above I would say....

Ya I want to build a quad xeon so bad.....

Got to wait till the new release of processors on july 22...

The price should start dropping then...

I going to get me one of those Gigabyte hotrod boards... biggrin.gif

hotrod

They fixin to release the new GDDR3....get this... 1 nano second latency....

Now that ought to cure all the lag woes on the video biggrin.gif

[ 06-27-2007, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

I've be gathering parts for a PC at home and now it's running. An Asus P5B deluxe, C2D E6320, 2Gigs of Crucial PC8500 RAM and the best air cooler made.

So far I've overclocked it from 1.86 stock speed to 3.04 and CPU temp holds at 87 degrees F. Almost 100% OC and yet only 13 degrees above my room temp. Can't wait to benchmark it.

[ 06-28-2007, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: bogusmill ]

Bogus, I have a similar contraption, but minus the P5 board, so no overclocking-

7min 31 sec. Not too bad for $900 bucks...

Plan to switch out the MB for P5 so I can try bumping up the clock and see what goes...

E6600 cpu ,2g ram, fx4300.

Oddly, I can't get ramdisc to make any difference. Craig at CM3D cut a lot of time with it, but I don't know how he set it up....

Bogusmill - most of the temp readings are done in degrees C (centigrade). If it is so on your system that is 212F (Boils water).

Can you put your finger on the CPU and hold it there? If so, that is a rare beast.

Steve - you need to change your tempfile locations to point to the Ramdrive, the regen file should also be placed there. You should not be getting any disk activity to speak of. (You could also change the windows environment variables to point to the ramdisk, but unless you have 3gigs or more of ram I wouldn't).

I am still searching for a Ramdisk program for Vista X64 - I was hoping not to have to pay $100 for the only one I have located to date.

I will do timing tests on one of my student systems (2ghz, 1gb ram) with XP and then install an evaluation package from www.superspeed.com and do the test again. I will post the result over the weekend.

Speaking of RAMdrives, there's a product I saw at Microcenter that has me curious. It's a PCI slot card that holds RAM sticks and shows them to the mobo as a drive. It could be cheaper and faster than a flash based solid state drive for use as virtual memory and tempfile space. It even has a battery / capacitor to keep the memory alive when powered down, so you don't have to be so careful about putting things there that you don't want to lose.

Anyone used one of these?

Well you can start casing you tail with all the things that will cost money to speed up your system, this one is here ready and waiting as soon as Vista is adopted, or you could just buy mor RAM. My Dell M90 was purchase with 2GB of Ram as opposed to 4GB for the reason that 2x2GB Dimms was going to cost me 2 grand now I can get it from crutial for 350 and I don't have to screw around with alternates and just RAM disk what I need.

"Bogusmill - most of the temp readings are done in degrees C (centigrade). If it is so on your system that is 212F (Boils water)."

Been on vacation for a few days. Yes, it is Fahrenheit. Like I said, I'm using the best air cooler made and it's in a slightly modified Shark aluminum case.

It will launch Catia R17 to a new part file in 1min. 30sec.

Seems like the RAM disk hasn't worked for anyone with X2 yet. I was thinking of trying it but not if it's ineffective.

Checked my new HP nw9440 laptop, Duocore 2.0 MGz, 2 Gig Ram, Quadro FX 1500, Win XP Pro.

With settings as it came from factory,(let windows choose what's best for your computer) 9 min.

With settings set to Best Performance, 8:45

All in all, quite a change from the 15:30 min on my old desktop! Almost glad it drowned in the flood.

Really like it so far, never ran a laptop and some things seem a bit clumsy yet. Got a wireless mouse going and that helps a bunch. Had a few random crashes with MC, but so far haven't been able to tie anything down.

I continued tweaking the BIOS settings of my new Asus P5B-D home built computer this weekend. I was able to get the Core 2 Duo 1.86Gig CPU to run at 3.512Gig and it can go higher. I backed off to 3.497Gig and ran the benchmark. CPU temp never exceded 110F.

5min. 6sec.

Win XP Pro/MCX2

Asus P5B-Deluxe

Core 2 Duo E6320, 1.86Gig overclocked to 3.497Gig

2G Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM PC8500

Samsung Spin Point 500Gig HD

GeForce 8800GTS/320 video card

Modified Thermaltake Shark case

This is the first time regen and its in inches, however the guys running this in metric seem to do much better. This PC also has Vista loaded on it and I was able to load MCX2 but not Catia. I'm going to run the benchmark on Vista and later with a twin 10K RPM RAID 0 hard drive setup. With Vista and RAID 0 on the same PC I'll find out how much slower Vista, or faster RAID 0 really are for X2. This eliminates hardware variables thus it's Vista vs. XP Pro & single HD vs. RAID 0 on the same PC.

9:27

XP Pro x64 SP2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4600+ 2.41ghz

2.00GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro FX560 (dual monitors)

Mastercam open on Left monitor

Firefox (3 tabs open)

Winamp (with a little Zeppelin playing wink.gif ) (off external 250gb usb drive)

Calculator

Microsoft Excel (2007)

Above 4 open on Right monitor

ill do some more messing around later. gotta get other thingys done first

andrew