Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Red arrow

Elmer Fudd

The only time I have found it moves is when I open an operation that is not within the tool group with which I am working in and that's understand able because it went to where you told it you were working.

That's the only time I see it move now.

And I howled about that same thing in X.

Not any more though

I think there is still some kind of problem in X2 MR1 SP1.

If I move the arrow to the begining of the operations in a toolgroup and creat a new operation. After processing the new operation is now at the bottom of the toolgroup (last operation instead of first).

headscratch.gif

quote:

If I move the arrow to the begining of the operations in a toolgroup and creat a new operation. After processing the new operation is now at the bottom of the toolgroup (last operation instead of first).

IIRC, that's what everyone (most people) wanted when people were complaining about it jumping around. They wanted it to stay at the bottom.

Try a search. I think this was something that someone from CNC Software started a topic on to see what we wanted before they changed it. I believe you'll find it under "Red arrow of doom." biggrin.gif

Thad

Is that realy what they did?

I don't think it makes any sence. If you want to put a toolpath somewhere you move the arrow there, that is how it used to work.

Now it dose not make any difference where the arrow is it puts the toolpath at the bottom. What is the point of the arrow then?

headscratch.gifcuckoo.gif

quote:

is that why it does that

quote:

Is that realy what they did?

I think so. Has anyone found the old thread? I thought the final decision was spelled out in a reply from CNC Software. Or maybe I read it in a "What's New " file. You'll have to do the legwork on that one. wink.gif

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time that a new release came out and a feature that used to work is now broken. I have not updated to MR1 yet, but new operations come in after the arrow for me.

Thad

Thad I just read your "Red arrow of doom" thread.

It did not say anything about changing the way it works, just fixing it so when you copy or drag Ops. it would jump to the bottom.

I never had a problem with this, I always used the arrow to place programs where I wanted them. Now it is useless for this purpose.

As I said before, what's the point of the arrow if all new programs go to the bottom of all current operations?

headscratch.gif

David,

It may have been another thread. I know it was discussed multiple times and became known as "the red arrow of doom" because of it's irratic behavior.

Does anyone else remember a thread with CNC Software involvement on how we (the users) would like it to work?

Thad

quote:

I just tried creating an op as the first and it worked just fine. I highlighted the first op, hit the Position insert arrow icon, then hit the Move insert arrow up icon. Are you positioning the arrow differently? Maybe a different way of moving the arrow isn't "locking" it in place. If that's so you should report it along with the process it takes to repeat the error.

Edit: BTW The arrow works very well for me. You do have to pay attention as to where it's at, but that's like knowing where your cursor is when your typing. If you click in the middle of the last paragraph to fix something then that's where your next word is going to appear unless you move it back to the end.

John Just read your Linky. That is what I want, but that is not how it is working.

Now no matter where you move the red arrow of doom to, the new op is always on the bottom. Kind of makes the arrow irelevent unless you want to change machine groups.

headscratch.gif

quote:

It should just stay put and not move unless I move it and then new toolpaths should follow the arrow. Seems like they tried to complicate it too much by making it move on its own. Sometimes simpler is better. just my 2 cents. Dan

+1, That's the way I would like it to work too.

Alright I got it I think.

I have a file with 2 machine groups. The first machine group has all 3D milling operations. (surface high speed, Scallop + Scallop Rest mill)

The second machine group has 3 countour programs. The first thing I notice about the countour programs is I am not prompted for a new NC name when I create a new program. The second thing I notice is no matter where I move the red arrow the new program is always at the bottom. If I go back to the previous machine group everything works fine. I move the arrow creat a new operation, and it prompte for new NC name. It also makes the new operation where the arrow is. I go back to the other machine group and it still dose not work. Dose not prompt for name, and new program is at the bottom instead of where I put the arrow.

cuckoo.gif