Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ballmills for cutting 17-4 SS

Michael Sullivan

We use mostly Garr tools also. I will look into that series. I will also look into Hanita since I've had good luck with their tooling also. For this job I need 3/8 and 1/4 ball mills so I guess the indexable tooling is out but I will keep that in mind if we keep getting this kind of work.

Thanks,

-Mike

quote:

I agree di-jet makes a nice indexable , available down to 1/2" now i believe, but id you need smaller go with "hanita" ball end mill.

Jarrett if you like "hanita" cutters you need to try out True Broach Machine and Tool here down in Toronto line of carbide endmills they beat hanita by far and the price difference is very little. I had sales guys from both companies and ran the tools at there specs hanita went first then true broach almost doubled the feed rate with same depth of cut hanita said run theres the same they can match it and the hanita is now in pieces the thing just exsploded.

WOW ..i'll have to try true broach , cause hanita blew my mind with their depth of cut and speeds and feed with their carbide endmill(not ball) vari-mill..I was cutting hardened 17-4 stainless with a 3/4" vari-mill at .750" depth of cut at 300 sfm and .014" per rev, if true broach can exceed that feed i'll try them out. I've never heard of them? wonder who in edmonton would sell them?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sumitomo, Kobelco, OSG, Robb Jack and Hanita are my favorites for cutting Stainless.

Cost is a secondary issue for me. I need THE best tool that is going to last the longest and give me the best results and performance, because "...good enough..." just isn't IMHO.

BTW, I have a 19mm Sumitomo e/m, that has about 85-ish 17-4 cutting minutes on it and it still cuts like new... Worth EVERY dollar and then some. Granted it was doing light duty finishing, but still.. that's a lot of time on a cutter.