Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardmilling Cutters

Brian_99

if this is something you do ofter, machining hardened tool steels ,i suggest that you go to indexable ballnose cutters. they have a varity o fdifferent grades for hard milling plus no regrinding and worring about cutter geometry. if this is not an option i also use hanita coated endmills. hope this helps.

Pokolm Trigaworx®.

These Square Shoulder Face Milling and Slotting Cutter Bodies for mould- and die making and for machine building companies offer universal application opportunities. Roughing and finishing of steel, aluminium as well as graphite and plastics. Ultra-precise production of our cutter bodies ensure excellent milling results.

http://www.voha-tosec.com/en/shopinhalt.ph...g&KatalogId=533

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

2nd. the Mitsubishi (also bought out Kobelco). Good stuff!

Sumitomo Carbide and OSG are excellent choices as well.

Harvey Tool CBN stuff is great if you have 15,000 RPM or more.

Just remember, when hardmilling, you get what you pay for.

i currently use dijet cutters and inserts, also have some sandvik ball cutters. i have had no problems running over night just don't think you can have a large amount to remove overnight.i usually have only about .005-.008 to finish with a step over of about .003-.005 depending on finish.

quote:

how do the indexable inserts hold up as i run mostly at night and what brand should i look at

when I'm running the programs at night and unattended I always run solid carbide endmills and ballnoses.

Fraisa is the place to go to for hardmilling but you'll pay a lot for them. We use YG and Mastercut with the Tialn coating for most of our hardstuff. Run the ballnoses with coolant

We use Jabro solid carbide ball/bull nose cutters in tool steels (48-56).

I haven't shopped around much, so I'm not sure how they compare on price or performance, but they seem to work fine. I am open for any suggestions.

Our machine goes to 32,000 rpm and we usually use cutters 10mm or smaller.

quote:

how do the indexable inserts hold up as i run mostly at night and what brand should i look at

We run a general purpose grade insert when cutting hard steel, mainly because we don't do hard cutting for a living. It's usually because of engine-ear changes or goof ups. We run a 1" or 2" bullnose TaeguTec (Ingersoll) at 100-200 SFPM, .004 - .006 chip at .025 - .030 DOC. I work in a die shop also so we cut RC 58-60 A2 and D2.

Again, we use this to make something right, not a regular machining practice. The machines are also closely monitored when cutting this. I wouldn't run this lights out.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I wanted to through out our experience on hard cutting.

Thad