Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need toolholders for hardmilling

peon

We've been hardmilling Die-Var(46-48rc), H-13(46-48rc) and S7(52-54rc) for our die cast molds lately with ER collets, but I finally got approval to upgrade to some better CAT40 Holders. Heat Shrink is out of the question at this time, but I have been looking at the Techniks Slim-Fit Modular System and the Nikken MMC/Insider System. Does anyone have any experience with either of these toolholders? I would love to hear your opinions or suggestions. I will be allowed to buy a few holders and test them for a possible larger order in the future. Thanks! smile.gif

Oh, by the way, I will be using 1/8"-1/2" ball and endmills with the new toolholders.

[ 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: mattstang70 ]

mattstang,

I have not used either of those brands specifically, but have used that style from other manufacturers. When we got our Makinos last year, we lookied around and found the best prices from HPI tool holders. We have been very happy with their MX holders which are the same as Nikken MMC. They are best for finishing. If you need good roughing holders the MC holders are the best I've used.

HTH

Nikken MMC and their line of milling chucks are the best way to go.

HPI has the same products though im not sure which is more expensive.

I have used both brands and seen no difference in performance.

They should guarantee .0002 runout and are generally better than that,

just be shough to keep em clear and they wont disapoint.

PEACE biggrin.gif

We use the entire Nikken Lyndex line of tools on our Makino's. As stated above, I would only plan on using the MMC holders for finishing. If you want to rough, use the mill chucks or the VC collet chucks. All are excellent and at a premium price. If you have thru spindle cooling, the MMC collets are available with "wistle notches" which direct high pressure coolant or air to the tip of the tool. Worth their weight in gold.

You could also look into Rego-Fix. You get great holders from them. They guarantee .00005 max run out and it only takes about 30 seconds to change tools. The only thing with these is you need to buy the press that mounts them. You would not be disappointed with it. When you are hard machining, rigidity is the most important thing. I am impressed with this system.

James. That Rego-Fix toolholder is interesting. I'll certainly take that paperwork to the office for some quoting along with the printouts to the Lyndex-Nikken, HPI and the Techniks system. I'm leaning toward the Nikken and HPI right now, but we'll see what the quotes look like.

quote:

You could also look into Rego-Fix.

We had a demo a while back, and I must say it's an awesome setup. Very quick and precise. If tooling several machines it's a great way to go. Hard to justify for only one machine though.

hth

Mark

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you're on a budget, Tecnara DETa-1 Btype holders are an exzceptional value. Cheaper than ER type collets, WAY more rigid and runout is practiaally nonexisistant. Only 1 drawback. You have to remove the pullstud to change tools. Definitely worth that small inconvenience.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one HPI toolholder (HMX) and applied the methods described in the two books authored by Dale Mickelson and I'm totally amazed with the results cutting hard H-13. I just ordered three more holders to replace the ER collets. I can't believe we used the ER collets for so long. We are also considering the Rego-Fix system for our Roku rather than purchasing a shrink fit system. Thanks for the suggestions! I think we may finally be getting on the right track!

http://www.hpiamerica.com/tool_holders/hmx.html