Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

x2 mr2 is released

malibu

Colin,

That is more or less my point. Basically all of my toolpaths are large, so yeah I get screwed due to the fact that if I push the ESC button once or 18 million times, I'm left to deal with either a crashed mastercam, or wait for it to finish up the toolpath and hope it doesn't take long. With the small toolpaths, it usually doesn't matter; it's short anyways, so in the amount of time that you'd be waiting for it to "esc" after one push of the button, you're ending up waiting the same amount of time as if you just let the toolpath finish out processing.

CNC apps,

Maybe if we all managed to get Mastercam to have some sort of better verify (I have done programs that will process all toolpaths for single mold in less time than mastercam will do a single cavity in, and with greater detail). Let's admit it; Mastercam is a mix n match of other manufacturers softwaretechnology. This from Company A. That from company B. It's the obvious that this is the weak point in the software. Don't we all want the same thing? A better software package? Backing up a programs weak points doesn't help anything. Explaining ways around them for now is one thing in regards to helping people out.......forgetting about the real problem is another.

Andrew

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a thread called Mastercam QC where I stated I hadn't recieved reply to tech questions or bug reports, only to read on this forum that they did answer. So I hac Mastercam send replies here and to my home. Nothing came here but there was a reply at home. I forwarded the reply at home to work and it didn't arrive. I send emails back and forth between work and home all the time and for it not to reach work when I sent it is so strange. Once IT told me it was the word xxxx in the text of an email that kicked in the blocker. I wonder if these text blockers think Mastercam is Masterba** or something like that? For now any tech or qc email from MC has to go to my home.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Let's admit it; Mastercam is a mix n match of other manufacturers softwaretechnology. This from Company A. That from company B. It's the obvious that this is the weak point in the software...

Hence on the previous page my statement

quote:

...Not saying MC does not take too long because often it does, just giving some things to help speed the processing...

and I'll add, Mastercam takes too long for MANY things. They should be addressed. Why Verify (written by Lightworks) works better in other CAM packages than it does in Mastercam (unacceptable IMHO). You're spot on though Andrew.

But I will say this, Mastercam has made pretty substantial gains in this area for the next maintenance release (which is a Production Candidate at this point - hopefully I won't loose my Beta Privilages for this). Approximately a 10% cut in regereration the first time and better than that for the second regeneration of the same part. Is it a perfect situation yet? Definitely not. What I do to minimize toolpath generation times is tolerance the operation according to what I'm doing. Roughing .005-.008" Total Tolerance, Semi-Finish .0025 - .005" total tolerance, Finish .0001 -.002 depending on surface finish requirements. That right there depending on the kind of parts you're making will help. Yeah it's a work-around but the point is at least sometimes you have a workable solution for the moment.

HTH

cheers.gif

CNC apps,

Glad to hear they are making headway on the uphill battle. I've been following the same tolerance guidelines there for quite some time. I do tighten them up a bit depending on the situation. Who knows....maybe before long mastercam will be able to do cam work more like solidworks.....and to think I used to think that relations and all that were crazy. smile.gif

Andrew

I would personally like to see the "SMALL THINGS" as some call it, FIXED before we get more toolpaths. Get the software rock solid then add more stuff to it. Its just like a computer, You put crap in it you get crap out of it.

These work arounds are a bunch of crap. But, it never slows them down wanting their MAINT. MONEY every year. Eventually everyone is going to wake up and say "You get me software I dont have to jump thru hurdles to use and I will gladly pay for MAINT.

For some reason MY CUSTOMERS want their parts right the FIRST TIME. If we dont make them right the first time, SOMEONE ELSE WILL.

I expect the same from my software and vendors.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Get the software rock solid then add more stuff to it...

Sounds good rolleyes.gif ... in theory. The reality is there is no such thing as bug free software period. If a bug has not been found in something it's because the "right" hardware, software, setting recipe has not been found. That's not to say they should not fix bugs. It's imperative they do. I think all comparable CAD/CAM Software charges Maintenance now. It's a fact of life nowadays.

I understand it will never be 100% bug free. But, some of this is ridiculous.

I had rather be known as the best instead of the BIGGEST.

If they specified what hardware and settings to use that has been tested would eliminate most of the problems. Charging Maintenance is one thing. Having to pay to get fixed what you have already paid for to start with is a different story. So, what you are saying is if I make a part for my customer that is wrong, They should pay me again to fix it? Its the same difference.

Dont get me wrong I LOVE MasterCam. But it seems they want to be the BIGGEST with more toolpaths than anyone else instead of getting it more solid.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...If they specified what hardware ... to use that has been tested would eliminate most of the problems...

+1000

I've wished for this for EONS.

My understanding is Service Packs (read patches/bug fixes) are no additional charge. Maintenance Releases are Service Packs PLUS additional features/functionality, etc.... So your analogy is not exactly right. biggrin.gif

quote:

Maintenance Releases are Service Packs PLUS additional features/functionality, etc....

Unfortunatly Mastercam uses Maintenance Releases to fix bugs and add functionality. This leaves people who drop their maintenance with buggy software. There are many bugs in X2 MR1 SP1 that are supposed to be addressed in MR2. Where does that leave people who are not on maintenance? Is CNC Software going to release SP2???? For some reason I doupt it

Keep Your Shop Running at Peak Performance

As a Mastercam customer, you know the value that top-of-the-line CAD/CAM delivers. Now you can enhance that value by making sure your Mastercam X software is always up-to-the-minute – and your shop always has the latest tools to keep you ahead of the competition.

Click here to see the value we have provided through the Mastercam Maintenance program.

I think the biggest problem with Mastercam bug issues is that the resellers are the ones doing the work to findfix them. I understand resellers should have tech support, but at the same time, they are the resellers....not the software engineersdesigners. I can't count the number of crash reports I've sent in to QC at mastercam, asking for at least some sort of response. Not a single one. They either don't look at them, or get so many that they can't respond to them. If this is the case (and especially with Mastercam reporting record sales numbers), hire some more staff!

Andrew

quote:

They either don't look at them, or get so many that they can't respond to them.

They DO look at them I can tell you that for sure.

A response may or may not be forth coming depedning on the issue at hand.

quote:

I think the biggest problem with Mastercam bug issues is that the resellers are the ones doing the work to findfix them.

Andrew.. have you thought about joining the beta

program? Most bugs are found by people like you and me.

Even if you aren't in the beta program..

when you find a bug, make a zip2go file

and send it to qc-at-mastercam.com with instructions on how to replicate the bug or crash.

I don't know what happens to the crash reports,

but if you send in a bug and they can replicate it

they will send you back a bug number.

I've never kept track of them, but I'm sure I've

got well over a hundred bug numbers to my credit since I purchased Mastercam V7

To be a beta site you have to be on maintenance

and your dealer has to approve it.

You don't have to be on maintenance or a beta

site to send bugs to QC though.

If you've got a problem and you can replicate it,

send it in. That's how the software gets better.

I became a beta site back in the V7 days because

I was being a total pain in the a$$ about V7

lathe. My dealer got tired of it and put me in the beta program so they wouldn't have to deal with me biggrin.gif

quote:

I can't count the number of crash reports I've sent in to QC at mastercam, asking for at least some sort of response.

What is the point of the crash report?

I to have sent plenty of reports in when MC crashes.

MC crashes and a dialog box pops up to fill in and send off.Whats the point you never get a responce.

Seems like a way to keep the users happy that something might be done to fix there problem.

If you find something you dont find right send it in to QC yourself.

Dont relly on the MC CRASH form its a waste of time

quote:

Dont relly on the MC CRASH form its a waste of time

So because of your experience it's a waste of time?

headscratch.gif

Those of us who have gotten emails requesting the file and the steps to try to repeat the crash report are smoking crack and just seeing things right?