Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Heidenhain TNC 530 post

T_MALENA

Does anyone run a Mikron HSM500 with the Heidenhain iTNC 530 control? If so what post do you use? How does it compare to the MC generic-heidenhain post? The mpmaster post?

And those of you with a 5-axis mill, how often do you really use all 5 axis?

In all of my years at this I’ve used 5-axis more as a 4+1 to access another side or multiple sides. So I’ve never really needed/used a true 5axis post. I’ve herd the opinions of many, but I’d rather here from you pros.

Thanks

How’s that Ron?

[ 09-18-2007, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Tim Malena, from Christopher Tool ]

Hi Tim!

Basically you have 3 bullet-proof options for post suppliers: CAMAIX / CIMCO / IN-HOUSE.

Since these companies developed very powerful and well proven posts, you can rely on them to enjoy as much as you can Mastercam 5 axis capabilities at its fullest. It is important to say that in Heidenhains you can work with 3+2 machining through Cycle 19, which is a very nice manner to simplify the 3+2 work. Also your post needs to be able to map coordinates properly for drill cycels and arc logic, and I´m quite sure that all these suppliers can ofer this as well. Is always good check out if the post handles with axis substitution, sub-programs, etc too.

Anyway, nowadays there is a lot of embedded inteligence and features to help you out in all situations. Cimco post for instance has some logic to deal with "almost vertical" vectors, which uses to generate instabilities in the toolpath, making the primary (usually - this is not a rule) axis flip, since the post "get crazy" with the calculated results. (Just a rude manner to explain - I´m sure that someone else here can explain much better)

In-house and CAMAIX has also developed some nice stuffs to deal with these daily challenges.

For simulatenous 5 axis, the axes rewind logic is very important. It saves our A$$!!!

My tip: Don´t try to save money with very cheap posts, it´s a waste of money and time.

My thoughts why:

1 - Five axis machines are complex.

2 - The CNcs nowadays are very powerful. Would be a waste not enjoying the potential of ITNC with a "dumb" post.

3 - Often will get a bad support for a post developed by a non-experienced company/guy. One thing is being a great mathematician. The another one is being good in math and in shop floor reality.

Please consider that if you don´t want to take advantage of 5 axis capabilities, you can use a free of charge 4 axes TNC post from IN-House. All you have to do is contact your dealer.

But with a 5 axis post you can take the full advantage of all rotary axes using axis substitution, allowing you to maybe experience new tastes even in 4+1 machining.

JM2C

quote:

Basically you have 3 bullet-proof options for post suppliers: CAMAIX / CIMCO / IN-HOUSE

Can anybody clarify about:

when will need upgrade post to a new version of Mcam from those companies will need to pay additional fee or not.

if yes how much approximately