Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT Keyless chucks

We are thinking about purchasing some keyless chucks for our CNC mills. They will only be used for spot drilling, drilling and reaming. We use 40 and 50 taper tool holders depending on the machine, and cut all types of material. Max RPM's range from 3500 to 1200. Every time the keyless chuck subject comes up at work there are always some skeptics. I was skeptical about using them also, but the last company I worked for used them all the time with little or know problems. I would appreciate anyones opinion on this subject, and if anyone has experience using keyless chucks on CNC's could you please let me know brands etc...

Justin

Use keyless and don't look back. We used keyed chucks for years. Then I talked the owner into buying a couple of keyless chucks. He liked them so much he bought a couple more the next month. Good thing about keyless chucks are people that over tighten everything won't be stripping the keys.

My 2 cents worth

Rob

Justin, The ones you were using here were either Nikken or Jacobs. The Nikken chucks use a spanner wrench and the Jacobs chucks are key less. Nothing against the Jacobs but I like the Nikken myself. That spanner gives me more of a warm and fuzzy feeling that I got it tight enough. My grip just ain't what it use to be. smile.gif

P.S. Check your damn phone messages! biggrin.gif

quote:

seems like that may be difficult for very small holes

True, we don't do many holes under .05, but everything above is held in a collets (er's, xt's...)

The smaller the run out the better is hole position, accuracy and tool life and that's the advantage of collets; they're fool proof and with chucks it takes a hand... wink.gif