Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X2 MR2 Patch 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Guess some wants to make sumfin outa nufin.

Actually I wasnt tryin to make sumfin outa nothin...seems in James reply..

quote:

I'm gonna wave the flag and chalk their statement up to laziness (i.e. not wanting to learn a new OS). Believe me, when I went to XP from Win2k Pro, I also lamented the apparent loss of the Network configuration simplicity. I once heard someone say "... you're either growing or dying, there's no in-between...".

It sounds to me that his option even though not excited about losing the Network configuration siplicity was to learn the new OS ...OR your dying.

your comment

quote:

AHHHHH. So now we have to Have a Masters in running XP? Guess XP is made for the few thousand that are GEEKS and not the hundreds of thousands that are not.

sounds like GEEKS = XP learners..

those who dont are not.

thats why I thought it might be offensive and sat back and said :POPCORN

if I misunderstood...I apologize. cheers.gif

quote:

Reminds me of people's hesitancy to migrate to Windows 3.1 from DOS.

James, don't forget the wonderful Windows 286, Windows 2.1, Windows 3.0, and Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions that all came out prior to Windows 3.1. biggrin.gif

I worked for a computer store back in the day and sold every one of those packages. Of course back then, they weren't the OS, they all ran under DOS.

I think back then, people didn't see the need to go into a graphic based OS. Many Linux folks are still that way. (Even some Mastercam folks to some degree) They loved their keyboard shortcuts and hated the Idea of a mouse and clicking on menu's. They hated loading a graphic file manager. ... I remember people asking "Why would I need that when I can just use x-copy or DOS commands."

I must admit it took me a while to let go of my comfort zone and all the DOS shortcuts I had learned. I also think that is what much of the "I'm sticking with an outdated OS" crowd is having problems with as well. Most of us work better where we are comfortable.

How many people stuck with using V9 over X even though it was being praised by some just because of the comfort?

I won't let myself get into that rut again.

While I do agree with a company's OS on their computers, it is a good idea to wait until the first service pack is out and many of the major flaws fixed prior to moving into a new OS, I would not agree to sticking with an OS that will be going by the wayside in a few years.

Run with the bulls or get crushed.

Rick

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jim answerd for me, no I have never owned my own shop, BUT, I did contract programming on my own for 2 years. Granted, not a lot of time on my own but long enough to see that I am a Programmer, Machinist, Setup Guy, Novice IT guy, etc... and NOT a businessman. biggrin.gif I do the work just fine, it's being the bill collector that's the problem. Not good at that, biggrin.gif I will say that I have been in probably over a thousand shops over the years in my travels stretching from Southern California up the coast to Washington all along the pacific coast to as far east as Hastings Nebraska and MANY, MANY, MANY places in between. I've seen a lot of things done right and I've seen a lot of things that could be done better. So that's the perspective I bring.

I worded the "geek" part wrong. I should have said a core level of competency is required to successfully set up and maintain a CURRENT network. The IT guys I blasted, obviously do not posess a core level of competency or else they would not make the blanket statements about XP's supposed serious vulnerability.

I personally chose to grow and adapt as opposed to sit back and die.

quote:

...it is a good idea to wait until the first service pack is out and many of the major flaws fixed prior to moving into a new OS...

Sage advise... at least for computers running "Mission Critical" applications. The secretary's computer that spends 90% of the time writing reports, and other similar activities that's a good candidate for the first OS upgrade victim errrr biggrin.giftongue.gif I mean station.

JM2C

------------------------------------------------

The secretary's computer that spends 90% of the time writing reports, and other similar activities that's a good candidate for the first OS upgrade victim errrr I mean station.

-----------------------------------------------

That's funny James. Last place I worked at had us using 400mhz computers while the secretaries had 1 gig+. We had probs on a daily basis with MC shutting down and everything taking 20+ minutes to regen. After I left they finally put some 1gig+ computers on the floor but only after the secretaries got 2gigs+. These were their hand-me-downs. What makes them think that a word processor needed that much computer compared to what we tried to do every day? go figure

I haven't had that much of a computer problem, but then again I have a few things going for me....1. It's my dads shop, and 2. my dad and I both understand the need for a powerful machine. What amazes me at why people buy a computer from somewhere. We build machines that are far superior to most on the market, and they are far more powerful, and have the hardwaresoftware that we need. Heck even with 21" flat panels, its still less than half the price of what I see most people spending on a machine. Then again, I understand most don't have this luxury.

Can't we go back to the Mastercam problems though? I know i know the computer tends to be the "source" of the problem, but let's get serious here, when all our other programs work fine, but one......I think that is pointing the finger in the right direction wink.gif

Andrew

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...but also allow me to keep my eyes set towards the future in...

any other mission critical CAD/CAM/CAE software we use.

Glad I could finish your sentence for you. biggrin.giftongue.gif

So here is a good question for ya. We are pro-E company. We run v2. right now, but are planning (from what I hear) to upgrade to 3 in the near future. Is pro-E dropping W2K support? I need some good argument base and since we are a 100% engineer driven company (*graon*) that might tip the scales a bit...Any one know?