Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X2 MR2 Patch 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I'm still annoyed that I have to pay to get 5axis verify in X2. Didn't know that till I tried to do the tutorials and it asked for an access code when I tried to verify it...

To me, thats like buying a car and finding out any gear other than 1st is an extra-cost option....you can poke along just fine, but God help ya if you need to back up or get on the freeway!

Aarrghh!

Man, did I ever open the perverbial can of worms on this thread, eh? :smack:

To me the points from both sides of the fence are valid. At home I have 2 computers, one running XP Pro and one running Vista. At work we run W2K. I have talked with our IT dept. about this many times and they maintain that to date this is the most secure operating system on the market. And since we have near 500 computers on the system, they are not -at this point- willing to take the leap to change. Vista is on the horizon for the company, but according to their words, XP Pro is one of the most flawed OS's out there for security loop holes and will never be supported by this company (unless a laptop is purchased with it...or our new Integrex that comes in next week).

For these few that do run XP, they are monitored even closer then the W2K network because of all the supposed security issues.

I cannot deny the argument that -for the common joe- paying $300.00 for a new OS seems like a lot of money (I buy all my OS's oem at around $125 cdn, even Vista 2 months ago). I don't like the idea of registering my windows with Microsoft for the exact reason Cam said. I bought it, why do they need to know about it? When you go to the computer store and buy it, they scan the software barcode and keep a record of it there. Does this info get transmitted back to the software creator (MS, in this case)? If so, then why register an online code? If not, well, to me it's still silly to do. I paid for it, end of story.

I don't know there is a resolution to this topic other then to say that the systems work the way they do, and the future is moving to 'registered' software. I don't like it, but as a home user, what choice do I have? Download it? Maybe, but where will that possibly land me?

When you register XP or Vista it asks if you want to register personal info, and I always say no. It's none of MS's business who I am, or what I am doing or my annual income. But I still have to send in this reg code to make it work.

When I have rebuilt computers, as I do about once a year, since I am a big home gamer, I always just have to re-register (if I do a new Windows install) and I do it online, and have never had it rejected. Never had to call and talk to the 'perfect english' person. Not an issue. Even had to re-install Vista and I had no issue (other then Vista crashing alot!!!) with reg codes.

What does this leave for me? Looks as tho I will not be getting my maint. renewed next spring because I do not have XP or Vista. frown.gif I am sad about that from the bits and bytes I have heard about X3 (unless I put MC on my Integrex computer! hmmmmmmm...?) But we have 3 keys here. Even if I register on the XP running Integrex, they will not renew, for that cost, 2 other keys that won't benefit anyways.

For the 'open code' comment James, I find that sort of thing funny since a lot of the major programs are written in Linux code and then crossed over (I don't know the tech. term for it) to run on the windows platform. I like Linus, it has it's huge downfalls (like gaming!), but there is nothing wrong with open code system, IMO.

Where does this long winded post leave it? It sucks, but I suppose one has to keep up with technologly. Will CNC lose a maint. customer from me? Likely, unless our IT decides to update us, which is not likely.

Funny thing is, this post reminds me of my very first post a few years back about the legality of running pirated software if you have a legal copy of it...(can't seem to trace that far back for some reason?)

Randy,

But, why cant Microsoft come up with a BUSINESS class OS that doesnt have the eye candy or the other BS that we dont need. It could be a plain, stable and safe system to use. And I agree 100% that Win 2K was by far the most stable and secure OS they have built. If they would build a business OS around this, I would almost guarantee that 90% of the business world would use it. XP has so much junk in it. With Vista all you seem to be getting is eye candy. I dont want eye candy I want something stable and safe.

Turning off eye candy does make the system safe and stable. The base system has to start out with the principles of one that has been proven to be just this. I talked with another IT I know and he said the same thing. Windows 2K is the only thing he would run on any kind of network that wants to be even remotly secure. XP & Vista are for home users. His words, not mine.

I understand that XP has security issues, and possible little bugs that may make something crash, but do you guys (or your computer tech guys) honestly think that even if you have the most secure setup that someone couldn't break into it? No matter what you are running or whatever, there is someone that is going to be able to get into it. Why do you think that there are pirated copies of basically every software on the internet? Someone can always figure out a way around a roadblock. I've been running XP and XP64 for as long as I can remember now, and any crash I've personally had (aside from Mastercam crashes wink.gif ) have had something to do with hardware or me messing with something.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on anyone, but we have to look at this in a realistic way. This isn't some fantasy world smile.gif .

But back on subject, let's not get sidetracked from the true issue....MASTERCAM ISSUES smile.gif

Can one of these patches make it so I can use turbo verify when it's not based on TOP planes? Or make it so it can actually process trochoidal cuts? Or address the tool holder collision thing I brought up in another thread? I had that problem with defining custom tools in the past. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now.

Andrew

quote:

So much for reading this thread to find out how the x2mr2 patch1 is working for evey one.

Lasalok,

We tested it in the office with several different files and it worked as it should.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I also have all the eye candy turned off on my XP laptop.

quote:

...according to their words, XP Pro is one of the most flawed OS's out there for security loop holes and will never be supported by this company...

For rookies XP can be a problem but experienced geeks can lock an XP system down so tight it won't even respond when pinged directly so I'm gonna wave the bs.gif flag and chalk their statement up to laziness (i.e. not wanting to learn a new OS). Believe me, when I went to XP from Win2k Pro, I also lamented the apparent loss of the Network configuration simplicity. I once heard someone say "... you're either growing or dying, there's no in-between...". You're IT guys are dying anf if somebody does not reign them in they'll take your company with them. That may sound harsh and unfair but it's the truth. Companies can ill afford software/hardware incompatability in this day and age. I suppose if a company made their own product, decided that they never needed to move forward because their software met their past, current and projected needs, that would be one thing, but the saying "...no man is an island..." comes to mind. Eventually you're going to need something from outside and if you're 10 years behind it's going to be a problem. This goes far beyond weather you renew maintenance on your CAM system or not; that's a somewhat minor issue when looking at an entire enterprise (500 PC's definitely fits that category), think about all the other software comapanies use, Document creation, Databases, Spreadsheets, SPC software, network security, firewalls, PDFs, etc... ad infinitum. Reminds me of people's hesitancy to migrate to Windows 3.1 from DOS. You can't even hardly run DOS on a PC anymore. Hadware drivers are not even available for NT anymore and Win2k Pro is not far behind.

JM2C

quote:

For rookies XP can be a problem but experienced geeks can lock an XP system down so tight it won't even respond when pinged directly so I'm gonna wave the [bS] flag and chalk their statement up to laziness

AHHHHH. So now we have to Have a Masters in running XP? Guess XP is made for the few thousand that are GEEKS and not the hundreds of thousands that are not.

Just curious James, Have you ever owned your own shop?

XP is not the only OS that needs a knowlegeable setup to be secure. If anyone thinks that W2K is secure out of the box, then you are naive.

Nobody should put their business on the line by not becoming or hiring a geek. If that is the obstacle, then XP is not the problem.

Having owned a computer and networking business, I have seen the damage that a non-secure network can cause. Linux, Windows, OSX, they ALL have holes that need an occasional plug.