Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem merging files

Chappyd

Hi All, new to the forums.

We're using X2 MR2 now, having upgraded from v9 this year. When I try to merge a file, I get a new ribbon bar with a bunch of choices. No matter what I do, I can't get the file I want to merge to appear. Then I went back to reopen the file on it's own, and I get nothing. In the preview window I can see my geometry, but when I go to open it, I get a blank screen. How do I merge stuff, and how do I get my geomtry back!!

In v9, the file would just merge. That's all I want at this point.

Pete, this has happened twice to me in the last couple of days. I am in a folder with a list of X2 files to choose from. When I highlight the file I want, I can see the geometry in the preview area. However, when I go to open it, X2 opens with a blank screen. I agree, there must be nothing in the file, since when I open it, nothing happens.

2 questions remain however..........

Why can I see the geometry which no longer exsists in the preview window?

And..........

In both cases these were saved files, opened with no trouble previously. Something happened when I tried to merge the files. What happened?

The merge function appears to be working properly now. I have no idea what I did, but I cannot afford to have work "disappear", and have resorted to saving files in 2 locations.

If anyone has had something similiar happen, or can hazard a guess as to what I may have done to cause this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Chappyd

Update. This same "disappearing" happened again near the end of the day. This time, i was not merging files, but working on some geometry. While attempting to Xform Rotate, X2 did not respond to the rotate command. I then saved my file and exited the program, as often told in classes at our reseller, Macdac Engineering. I reopened X2, browsed to my file, highlighted it, saw it in the preview window, hit the green check to open ..............and nothing. blank screen.

We've been using X2 MR1 until a couple of weeks ago. We updated to X2 MR2 in a "side by side" installation as advised by Macdac. The 2 months or so of MR1 were uneventful, so I may just uninstall both X2's and just reinstall MR1 again. This is just way too frustrating.

Chappyd

Chappyd,

I understand your frustration. Strange that nobody else has been reporting this problem.

A couple things for you to think about:

1. For a long time, I have heard advice to disable the "preview" picture because it supposedly caused crashes. Perhaps if you disabled the pics it would help ?

2. You can see the preview pic even on a file that has gotten hosed because the pic is just a pic which is embedded in the MC file.

3. Very important: Set up your "BACKUP FILES". This is a feature within Mastercam that creates a second copy of your file every time you save it PLUS it also indexes your files so you can have more than one copy. I always set it up so that the backups go in a separate folder. Search around the forum for backup files... I recently posted some screen shots for another user that showed a good way to set the backup files options.

4. and finally, as an alternative to FILE, MERGE, maybe you should play around with the "CHANGE RECOGNITION" feature.

If you can discover some reproducible chain of events that lead to a working file getting hosed, I am sure that "[email protected]" would love to hear about it.

Just curious, what operating system do you use ?

"...Why can I see the geometry which no longer exsists in the preview window?.."

The image used in the preview is simply a screen grab of the part at the time it was last saved.

"...Something happened when I tried to merge the files. What happened?...

It sounds more like there is a problem with saving the files.I would go with Matt's suggestion to disable saving that image.

"...While attempting to Xform Rotate, X2 did not respond to the rotate command..."

What does this mean - it just hung? Is there any way you can try to reproduce this and send qc what info you can?

Basically yes, the geometry would not rotate, however I was able to exit the program normally. The computer itself seemed fine.

I will take Matt's advice and disable the preview. This morning I uninstalled all versions of Mastercam I had on my comp and reinstalled X2 MR2 only. I had X2 MR1 and V9 still as well.

If I can reproduce this problem consistently I will send what info I have to the QC addy.

We are using XP pro as an OS.

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate them

Dave

Pete,

I believe they are V9 and older files, I will try converting them to X and then try merging.

Since I could still read them I just haven't taken the time to convert them.

They are small files SHCS, flat heads, shoulder bolts, waterlines, eye bolts, ejec. pins, tunnel gates, ect.

Just a small library of stuff I use in mold designs over and over.

Off til Monday wink.gif

Have Good Weekend

Thanks Pete

cheers.gif