Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File size or operation count

I just hit a personal record for the number of operations in one file (327). These are all 2.5D toolpaths and started to get a little quircky towards the 300 mark.....I'm working with the dealer with that problem.

I'm curious and would like to get a sounding on what others have achived either in file size and/or operation count.

BTW largest file size was around 250MB

quote:

BTW largest file size was around 250MB

I used to get about that size...but that was before I understood the WCS and copied the solid I was using to different level..rotate it toolpath it... then do it again for another side..and another...

it tends to increase the file size in a hurry my old way.. biggrin.gif

I cant say I am reaching that file size anymore.

The 250 meg file was recently in MR1 I believe and was a using WCS. No duplication of entities if I could help is.....multiple solids with multiple Machine groups to manage individual plates, slides, core cavities so on and so forth. This was not done to see how gig I could make a file but it is amazing sometimes how quickly a file grows as soon as you strat surfacing....not simple sh$%

I have a 400 MB file that is just surfaces - no toolpaths. Stability issues started poping up after the first 100 MB. We ended up splitting the file into sections.

One thing that I noticed... I have two HD in my computer. One came with the computer (1 year old) and the other is from my last computer (4 years old?) When I saved a large file (100+ MB)to my old HD, my PC would crash alot (25% to 50% of the time). However when I saved to my new HD it was much more stable. But hold on - there is one more varible to throw into the mix. When I saved to my new HD, I was also using the latest MC (MCX2 MR2) - so not sure what the fix was, X2MR2 or saving to the newer HD... or both... I have not had a chance to figure out which one it was.

I stopped at 250mg, 40 paths all 3-D surfacing

And rest material finishing etc.

Thats 3 different mold components, I ended up

'saving as' 3 files because I was a long way

from finishing the paths on the last component.

Mc would blink off doing random tasks.

I have one component that reached 200meg 17 paths

1" to 1/32" ball (resting)

We consistently get up to 100+ meg file size. I see delays when I save. It takes a few minutes.

If we get too big before we even reach the finish toolpaths then we will do a save as to the roughing file and create a finishing file. Then we delete all of the ops we don't want but keep all the levels, geometry, etc. Works well.