Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping metric threads?

c-hook

Hey all you super smart guys-

I haven't tapped metric threads with our HAAS cnc's before. Can I use a standard G84 to do this. I'm not sure if it will work, being that the spindle and feed don't sync up exactly to whole numbers.

Any advice??

I'm tapping a M8 x 1.25

Thanks

Just complementing what John said in the second topic, and living in a "metric country", I think that the formula shown below it´s better (and easier to remember) for the conversion:

Metric pitch : 25.4

This formula sounds better for me because you don´t have rounding problems with the values.

For example: By using the .03937 constant for a 6.35mm (0.25") pitch, you get:

6.35 x 0.03937 = 0,2499995"

By dividing 6.35mm by 25.4 (1") you get exactly 0.25"

Depending on the case, you can get rounding problems. I know that usually the resolution of the CNC machines running in Inch mode it is 4 places after the decimal (0.0001" - 0.00254mm), but in metric mode, the resolution usually it is set as 0.001mm, so that for me machines running in Inch mode are more sensitive to rounding errors, since an error of 0.0001" corresponds to a 0.00254mm deviation.

Claus from Cimco states in his signature: "The real world is metric". Agreed. biggrin.gif

Just kidding guys... cheers.gif

JM2C

Hey Thad!

I agree with you and usually a error off by 0.0001" it´s not a big deal. But it depends on how deep is the thread and which kind of holder and tapping mode you are using (I mean, rigid or floating).

Let´s suppose that you are tapping a M16x1 with a depth of 100mm. If you get an pitch error off by 0.0001" per turn, the the total error at the final depth is 0.254mm, what is a considerable deviation if you are tapping using rigid option with a holder without any axial compensation. For floating tapping usually the floating holder will compensate the deviaton. But IMHO rigid tapping is by far better.

I used to get very good results in a VF2SS with rigid tapping option, almost 3 years ago, in my former job. I used to use ordinary collet chucks for that, and I never had any trouble with my threads, oftentimes very deep.

Ok, let's say that there is some accumulative error the deeper the tap goes. Now, when the spindle reverses and the Z axis starts traveling back up, is (should) everyhing going to sync up exactly the same way as it went in, or is there going to be the same error deviation, but only the opposite this time? headscratch.gif