Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Definition Broken XMR1 (MAJOR RANT)

crazy^millman

This version is so unstable and one who has it needs to hire a lawyer and sue their dealer and CNC software. I have hours fighting with this. I set my aggerate tools up save the machine def comes back and they may or may not be there. Then it will then change the MPMASTER machine def to the generic over writting the MPMASTER one to the generic. It has got to be such a problem I have a copy of the good machine def and control in another folder and having to reload it about ever 3 to 4 minutes while making toolpaths is sucks so bad. I am sorry, but this is $#%$%&$%^$%&^% broke. Anyone using this version is getting less than a usable product IMHO and should go back to V9MR105 if their company can not or will not upgrade any further than this. I know many people who were duped into Maintenance with V9 did not since it took so long for X to be released. These people are stuck with the crap of a version and should get their Maintenance money back or be allowed to upgrade to XMR2 or X2 for free. Many of the surface creation tools do not work, Trim surface to curves does not work correctly, project to surface is 50/50. Multi axis toolpaths clearing the part when using an aggerate head do not work and you have to create your own entry and exit moves. Change colors using the change color box is 50/50. When you have a different color selected and create surface from solid it makes them the same as the original though the setting at telling it otherwise.

X2MR2 amazing product and don't see any of these problems, but XMR1 is terrible and sorry I feel like anyone stuck with this should get something for it, because IMHO it is a big black eye for Mastercam!!!

Oh yeah I got my fire proof suit on.

flame.gif

flame.gif

flame.gif

flame.gif

flame.gif

flame.gif

flame.gif

flame.gif

I couldn't agree more, although I can't get over how many problems we have with X2MR2. As much as I like Mastercam, with every new release it becomes more of a sub-standard product. I have submitted so many things to my dealer and they just shake their heads. The can't figure out what the H is going on. Every day is a new challenge with no explanations. Six seats on different computers and none work like they should. I can hardly wait for X3 ???????????

No flames from me Ron but...

I used XMR1 though out its entire lifecycle and did not have the trouble you are having.

I would open my config file in a text editor

and check all the file paths.

Copying config files from one install to another can lead to some really jacked up PATHS and cause

all sorts of grief.. just a thought

also...

you are sharing these files with your customer..

is his install folder named the same as yours??

if he's installed in

C:mcamx

and your in

C:mcamx-mr1 it can cause problems

Something else that can cause problems is leaving your machine def name the same as

a generic one.

I keep all my machine def's/control defs and posts in a folder OUTSIDE the MC install folder.

When you do it this way and the MCX file can't find the defined machine def, it yells at you.

If the paths lead back to C:mcamx or whatever

it may load something close and never say a word about it.

Tom I checked all the paths. I have it all as McamX my MR2 is in a MR2 folder. They are all the same from work to my laptop to my computer at home for X2MR2 and work flawless.

Rick X2MR1 is the same XMR1SP2 and this is a different story. I downloaded straight from the downloads and is what they can have since they let maintenance expire back in 2005. They are getting X2MR2 but going to take a couple weeks.

It is just junk period. I had to do the Machine def for the operations manager and it will only be good for this file. I can save the file as something and it will say with that local operation copy, but if you try doing it through the Machine Type method it does not stick and cause all types of problems. It is a work around, but just need to get these few files done and I have not got to look at this crappy version again and can delete it off my Computer. Yesterday was not soon enough!!!!!!!!!!

Ron,

if they can run X_MR1 they can run X_MR1_SP1

Service Packs are not tied to maintenance expiration dates.

edit...

also

if you build a file at home in X_MR1_SP1

they can open it post it etc in X_MR1.

Its the same major release.. files are backwards and forward compatible.

If you go to the support site at Mastercam the XMR1 and SP2 are the same download. So they are one in the same. SP2 was for people who did not have maintenance and MR1 was for those that had maintenance. I am giving them posted code so the using of the files is not the problem for them right now. The problem is for me trying to give them files that will work with what they have. My choices were V9 or XMR1SP2 so I went with the X version since it has been a few years since I touched V9. I am getting it but it really sucks!!!

While I am talking about this version hate it does not remember what things last did in the ribbon bar and you have to reselect them everytime like trim/3 point circle/line, to name a few. Also making everything a spline and not lines and arcs like V9 did and X2MR2 does. The arrow not appearing on the screen when doing curves of edges of surfaces.

[ 01-03-2008, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Believe it or not I did two fairly involved Horizontal turn keys with it and the only issue of note that comes to mind that I had I had was how SSSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW things got when I had lots of Transform Operations.

Any time you go backwards in software be prepared for frustration REGARDLESS of what software it is.

quote:

This version is so unstable and one who has it needs to hire a lawyer and sue their dealer and CNC software.

Makes you feel good to pay maint. and get **** worse than you had before. But, you can not pay maint. and have to pay more later or even re purchase the software. As I have said before its nothing more than a money scheme. Its really beginning to irritate the hell out of me.

quote:

Any thoughts if I should or just wait for X3? 9.1 seems to work fine.

The longer you wait , the more you are going to have to learn.

This thread is about X_MR1, a release that is 2 years old.

Ron is doing contract work for a customer that refuses to upgrade so he must use a 2 year old version for file compatiblity.

Ron is also doing extremely complex multiaxis work on a plain jane laptop.

Concidering the work Ron is doing and the

hardware limitations he's forced to work with, I'm surprised he's getting anything done at all.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Ron is doing contract work for a customer that refuses to upgrade so he must use a 2 year old version for file compatiblity.

Ron is also doing extremely complex multiaxis work on a plain jane laptop.

Concidering the work Ron is doing and the

hardware limitations he's forced to work with, I'm surprised he's getting anything done at all...

Why people refuse to upgrade is BEYOND me. Ron, I hope you are charging them BY THE HOUR. Not that all the hair you're pulling out can be replaced, but still.