Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MC forum VS UG forum

JAMMAN

The company I work for is considering buying a seat of UG18 because of file compatibility issues with some new work they have from a german company. I did an internet search for "Unigraphics forum" and found one, registered and posted a simple question: (Short version) What are some of the advantages of using UG over Mastercam? Well, I posted the question on 4/26.

On 5/2 I received e-mail notification that a response had been made. I went to the forum and saw the reply.."What is Mastercam?"

I would hate to have had a real problem.

Haha...A huge amount of UG users have blinkers on, and think that their system is the be all and end all...

I used Unigraphics for about 5 years, and found myself switching back to Mastercam to do any 2.5D and basic 3D. Mastercams post processors are way better (way more customisable).

Having spent considerable time now with Mastercam 8.1.1 and now 9, I believe its rapidly catching up to UG in 3D toolpath capabilities.

UG's strong point compared to Mastercam in that regard is its processing power. Its certainly quicker at generating toolpaths.

And for modelling, well, there isn't really any comparison.

Still, when all said and done, I'm a diehard Mastercam user smile.gif

This is similar to our shop,exept it is pro manufacturing,unless your a pro e user

give it up.Mastercam,after using it and trying alot of differant systems will be my choice

of system for probably ever.Especially because of thier ability to stay up on things.And nobody else has a Forum like this.Most would make you pay extra for this.Our dealer

never even mentioned this perk,I found it on accident. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

i tend to agree that UG is bad for programmers.

there is nothing "direct and to the point" about it and it takes longer to program even a simple part. (typical of anything the US governement has had it's hands in). actually getting a tool path done is pretty bad but their post processors really suk. with mastercam i can make the post

ask me questions and accept input for coords for pallet offsets and that kind of stuff. i haven't been able to get ug posts to do that. any clues ?

've been programming for almost 30 years and ug is the worst i've seen, and the most expensive.