Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Easiest way to create this simple geometry

neurosis

Im just asking this question because I feel that there is an easy way to do this that I am not aware of. The lines in the picture are at .1 z intervals and all have endpoints. I got this part file from a friend that let me look at it to help me along with mastercam. Im trying to find the easiest way to get those lines with endpoints intersecting the other line with as few steps as possible. Here is a link to a picture that will explain what I am talking about hopefully. Its early and I am tired.

Hmmm, don't know if this is what your after, but as me being a noob myself, I would set the c-plane to the front view, then set the view to ISO and snap a line from 1 end to the other. This would be simple if all the lines were the exact same distance in spacing. That drawing looks like its in backplot and somebody failed to select one of the lines.

If I copy the lines at an angle in a polar direction I lose my z value unless I do some calculation. This line is at 45 deg so its simple but I cant help but think that there is a way to do this easily without any math involved "lazy?". I am able to do this in another cad system by merely copying the lines up in z with .1 intervals and then projecting them to the plane in y axis but I cant figure out how to do this even in mastercam. I can project the lines but they project normal to the plane. I cant figure out how to project them to the plane yet hold their z values. I thought about creating the series of points first and then the lines but I have the same problem. I cant figure out how to create the points along that line holding .1 z intervals up. I doubt that this is as difficult as I am making it. I also wouldnt think that you would have to create these lines one at a time to hold the .1 z values.

To create the points along the line you point segment and then use the distance and .1 and done. Pretty easy.

Edit. Need to make your 1st point at the correct height then use the distance along the Z and you are done. Another way is to know what the sitance is between then in X and Y and translate copy in X and Y and will do the same thing.

HTH

So far the only way ive been able to duplicate this exactly, is copy the end line over to the other end of the cross lines, create a ruled surface, create my lines .1 intervals up in Z and project them to the surface in the front view. Seems like allot of work but it got me to where I was going. Im still curious how the creator of this part file did this. The line that the cross lines and the points are sitting on wasnt divided at the top and bottom cross lines so he didnt use segments for sure. I also dont fully understand how to do what you are talking about with the distance along points. You mean create points dynamicly? I cant seem to get that to work how I want either. I can select where I want the first point but after that I have a hard time controlling where the next one ends up. (forgive me im new). I guess what confuses me the most about this part file is that there is allot of construction geometry for tool path but it is all sort of like this. I cant figure out the steps he took to get this geometry. There is so much of it that I cant help but think that there was a very simple way to do it. Anyway, once I got my lines projected to the surface I was able to add the points easily by just selecting the lines and adding end points. Im wondering if there was a purpose for these points on his geometry?? for tool path purposes maybe? the path that is driven by these lines is a 2-d contour and every line is selected and control the z depths of the path. Ive never done this so I can at least say that I learned something.

Maybe that would be something to request to be added in future version?? Projection to a plane along another plane? Or is this already possible without using surface project?

How about xform translate then select a from and to point then copy the number you need. That way you don't have to do the math since the points are already there.

Or

translate up the z.1, change your c-plane to side and project.

Or

translate all the points on one side from one end to the other and select the join feature.

quote:

Seems like a long way to go for a simple 45 Degree cut. But then again, all my work is mold cavities, so I only use Surface toolpaths. If I use a 2D toolpath 3 times a month, that would be a lot.

Well, this 45 deg is just an example for me. I would like to know how to do this on any line even if it was a spline following a surface edge. The trick for me is either getting these lines (points not really needed" at .1 z intervals on any angle line easily. I would think that project would be the ticket but as I said, it seems that you can only project normal to a plane unless you are projecting to a surface. Is this correct or am i missing something?

Polar doesnt get me what I want unless I do some math (lazy?) At 45 degrees obviously this is very simple but.... Im looking for a solution that doesnt require any math. I figure there has to be an easy solution. The other cad system I use I can do this about three different ways without using any math at all. Im just trying to figure out how to get the same results with the same ease in mastercam since this will the system we use from now on.

When I try to do this using polar I edit the yellow boxes and lose my angle or distance. BTW the .1 distance doesnt give me the z depth. At 45 degrees with a .1 distance you get a .0701 z depth. When I change these number to .1 my angle changes and I cant fix the angle on 45 deg. If I do the math then I can get what I am looking for but then again.... who wants to do math. wink.gif For me polar has not been a good solution.

Charlie, Unless I am missing something, you end up with the same problem. You have the .1 distance in the along box but you lose your actual step value. AS stated above. This problem would be solved easily if you could lock the values in on some of the boxes. Definitely something to ask for in X3. Also the project to a plane, along using another plane, vector, ucs x, y, or z, would be very nice.