Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

APT programming language

Colin Gilchrist

Good morning all,

Does anyone have any good reference material for APT programming? I think there are two basic flavors of APT, GOTO and CL. Am I correct? I've never done any APT programming before, I'm pretty much an NCI and G-code guy. Now I'm enrolled in a V5 Catia programming course and I need to learn what the dark side is all about. If anyone has any recommendations on books, or any electronic documentation you can post on the FTP, I would sure appreciate it. I orderd a book last night on CNC programming with Compact II/APT, so I hope I'm getting something useful.

Thanks in advance,

That book is going to be the best bet Colin. I am surprised that Boeing doesn't have a ton of archive information for you. They, along with everyone else used this religiously.

I don't think I could remember much to help you, but I will see if I have any documentation left at home since our first PC based system was APT based and I was using APT before that. Sorry in advance though, too much grey hair in between that time now! LOL! eek.gif

GOTO LINE1, CIR2, ETC.

ROFL! cheers.gif

There are a number of different APT flavors.

The difference in using it as a programming solution and having it output from your CAM system is a pretty big difference.

The basic APT commands are pretty simple really. Just looking at them gives you a good idea of what they mean. The thing to consider is which post processor you will be using and what it needs in regards to APT format.

My guess is any book that documents APT commands and tells you what they do will give you a really good idea of how it all works.

APT is a defined standard.

That said all the "flavors" are really supersets of that standard.

There are only a handful of CAM systems that APT based systems.

A larger number use APT CL data as the default intermediate file for post-processing to G-Code. This is similar to the way Mastercam uses the NCI file.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-8...ramming&x=0&y=0

quote:

APT is a defined standard.

That said all the "flavors" are really supersets of that standard.

There are only a handful of CAM systems that APT based systems.

A larger number use APT CL data as the default intermediate file for post-processing to G-Code. This is similar to the way Mastercam uses the NCI file.

Yes, APT is a standard language. Many CAM systems bastardized it and many tried to make there own "form" of it, yet in its standard form, it is still the most powerful programming language out there.

!!!But they all need pretty pictures and they're all made out of ticky tack and they all look just the same! ROFL!!!!

ITS COMING! NO CODE!!!! Seemless integration of graphics to machine motion! cheers.gifbiggrin.gifcheers.gifbonk.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I figure that knowing V5 will better equip me to show V5 programmers why Mastercam is better...

I've got an easy one for you to give to your CATIA jocks...

Tell them to change a peck drill cycle to a tap cycle. biggrin.gif

Next year I intend to go to U.S. and attend some classes of APT at Austin NC. They are the developers of G-Post, and as far as I know, the only company with APT classes. Again, AFAIK. Any inputs about another options will be very welcome.

Some APT programming knowledge it is very helpful when using high-end systems, such as PRO/MFG / CATIA / UG, etc. Their output is mainly APT, and each one has some specific manners to output specif things. But the core it´s almost the same in all them.

For those ones equipped with Vericut, go to the G-Code settings page and see how Vericut interprets APT based drill cycles for different CAM systems. Each one has its own quirks.

APT programming is very useful for post-processor debugging and development, and IMHO, every user of an APT based system should try to learn as much as possible about APT language.

Matrices, transformations, sub-program support, cycles, tool definition and many other things are fully supported in APT, so that the more you know about it, the more you can develop a better post for it.

"I just want to be able to challenge some of these Catia guys head on."

Apples to oranges my boy... Surely as long as you've been with Boeing you've seen the loyalty to Catia. Surly you've met the "Catia Mafia" (the in-house Catia reps). They will NEVER use anything else on the large production airframe work. Never. Yes on prototype or interior components but not large production airframe.

The internal quality standards are based on same-system design through manufacture. They're able to control revisions and quality this way. It may not be as "quick" as MCX but it maintains the overall process which has a much larger cost to the project. Think about the on-going revision control and you know just what I mean.

--

Bill