Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Comparing two solid bodies

Santa Fe

I received a solid model Revision B of a part we already made with a previous Revision A. As usual our customer send us the new model which may or may not be different to the previous revision and I have to check everything like: walls, fillets, radiuses, angles, holes, etc. and it is a time consuming task.

My question is: is there a way to compare two solid bodies in mastercam and get a report of what's different among the two solids?

and if not, is SolidWorks capable of doing that?

• Like 1

quote:

You could analyze each one.

Then compare mass.

You could but Mastercam will NOT show you exactly was is different. When working with busy models you generally know something changed and that's all volume will tell you. Most of the time you need to know WHAT did change.

quote:

Doesnt the print show the Revs. on it ??

True Hardmill, it should have a rev change box declaring what exactly was changed. Unfortunately anymore, everybody wants to go to the solid without making prints, which is what happens here. We have to go to th engineer and ask and then do what Ployd suggests to see the differences. For job shopping, sometimes getting ahold of the engineer can be a chore unto itself.

That is how it should be Hardmill, but I have blueprints from the same part number with same revision even same date under the revision but with different geometry. Some times the changes are obvious but some times, they are not. Also, we as common CNC programmers and/or machininst, are not good enough to talk with the engineer who made the changes. Therefore, it is my responsibility to look for changes in the models even if the customer sends us the same revision of blueprint and model.

Of course, I do not have to do all this. This is only if we want to do bussines with this customer, which we do.

quote:

John, can you explain me more about this method of comparing the two body beometries in SolidWorks.

With a part open,

If you do not see see the utilities option in the menus, try this, tools >> Add-Ins >> and click on Solidworks Utilites

This will activate the menu for it.

Now click on Utilities >> Compare geometry >> in the reference document spot pick the original part, in the Modified document spot pick the new onw.

click on compare and let solidworks do it's thing. when it is done you will have several options for viewing and seeing the similarities and the differences.

hth

[ 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions® ]

I put the new stuff on a different level with a different color. Turn shading on and the differences will be obvious assuming the postion of each model matches. If you see both colors flashing as you rotate the solids, the faces match. It is then easy to spot the changes/differences.

Thank you again John, seem like the SolidWorks comparison report is exactly what I need to cover my rear.

I did the usual on MC, you all know putting a solid on top of the other and by all these methods, I could see the two revisions are the same but is just visual, I don't get any report out of it. Here is where SolidWorks comes in handy it gave me the paper to support the decision.

No problem.

Mastercam only "shows" and if the changes are quite minor, visually you can miss them. The Solidworks comparison actually can tell you what is different and by how much.

A nice feature, especially if you have use for it.

smile.gif

quote:

you need Solidworks Office Pro or Premium to do this.

Well, if you only got the "Shoebox" version of the "Hallmark" card it might be time to invest a few more $$$

biggrin.gif

quote:

The "Change Recognition" feature NEEDS to be brought along to allow this.

Essential for the future!!! - IMHO

+1000

We use ProE here for engineering and I use that for model compare, but it would be nice to compare solids in the MCX file that contains the toolpaths.