Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

windows xp home or pro?

neurosis

I would not consider XP Home, very, very insecure

Comparison

quote:

Windows XP Professional gives you all the benefits of Windows XP Home Edition, plus additional remote access,
security, performance, manageability
and multi-lingual features that make it the operating system of choice for businesses of all sizes and people who demand the most out of their computing experience.

If you have Home, don't waste your money by upgrading to XP, no real benefit there. If your buying new, then go for XP pro. Doesn't matter whether XP utilizes 2 cores or not, its tough not to buy a new comp that doesn't have 2 cores. Security? Tons of aftermarket apps to help with that. Other than that, read JP's comparison link.

Pro boots seemingly 10 times faster than home, though I can't explain exactly why. I had home on my personal desktop and my laptop and we had it on the roving shop laptop. I bought pro when I built a new home machine. I got 2 more installs from M$ for the old machine and the laptop and they are now Much faster at things like page swaps and application boots and closes. Likewise they startup faster.

just my $.02

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

Professional Edition: Superset of Home Edition

At its most basic level, XP Professional is a business- and power-user oriented superset of Home Edition. Because this orientation, it includes features that wouldn't be appropriate, or would be too complex, for the typical home user. The most obvious difference is security, which is vastly simplified in Home Edition. Each interactive user in XP Home is assumed to be a member of the Owners local group, which is the Windows XP equivalent of the Windows 2000 Administrator account: This means that anyone who logs on to a Home Edition machine has full control. Likewise, the Backup Operators, Power Users, and Replicator groups from Windows 2000/XP Pro are missing from Home Edition, and a new group, called Restricted Users, is added. Hidden administrative shares (C$, etc.) are also unavailable in Home Edition.

Networking features

* The following networking features are not included in Home Edition: The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)

* SNMP

* Simple TCP/IP services

* SAP Agent

* Client Service for NetWare

* Network Monitor

* Multiple Roaming feature