Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Seeking out computer guru's

smily

I have a question on why one computer would perform 4 times faster than another. All 4 computers were built at the same time about 2 years ago. The computers contain P4 3 ghz proccesors. All have identical motherboards, 2 gigs of ram, hardrives, etc. We had noticed this one computer and test was using X2 MR2. This fast computer would slow down to the other slow speeds when we tested on X2 MR1. On the faster tests, we have swapped mastercam config files hoping to achieve the quicker results. Could not be done. The computer feels as if it was choking somewhere compared to the lightning boy.

Any tweekers (not that kind of tweeker cuckoo.gif ) out there know how to get the optimum performance. headscratch.gif

Could this be an X2 configuration or a window's XP Pro configuration?

Thanks

There are soooo many factors that it could be that anything would only be a guess.

BIOS settings the same?

Could a piece of hardware be failing?

Available space on hard dives could affect performance.

They are just so many more things to look at

I periodically back up everything important, reformat and do a fresh install of all my software. It almost seems a neccessity sometimes with windows.

As John said, there are a multitude of things that can cause bottlenecks in a computer. If you don't know or suspect a problem area sometimes the easiest thing to do is start over.

If things are still slower after that, hardware would be the only other factor.

Check your virtual memory. I was changing the size of it on my laptop recently and was distracted so it was left at 0 for a day and it runs real bad like that. I set it to 0 then reboot and set to 2048 if the PC has 2Gb of RAM. Doing it this way clears out anything left over and gives you a clean unfragmented page file but if you forget to reset it on reboot a very slow PC is the result.

John,

Are you talking about when you post a file it being created as a doc file?

In X you can go into the control definition >> files and change the NC File extension to .doc

In any pre-X post you can go into the post and change the there should a be a switch

sextnc .nc

that could be chaned to .doc

High Sierra Plastics,

The tests we were running are just some typical toolpaths: Scalloped and left overs. Left overs are generally pretty lengthy depending on the size of the part. We would call up the program from the backup server and and would hit: regenerate all dirty operations, which was all seven toolpaths. We would set a timer at this point. We are just using the clocks off the computer so we didn't care if we were off a minute or two, but for one computer to be done in 15 minutes and another at 1 hour and 2 minutes show a little discrepency. We had just recieved brand new computers that are "core to Duo" 3 ghz and it is running the program at 1/2 hour. Still not faster than the mystery P4 3 ghz.

We noticed after we changed from a crt monitor to an LCD monitor, the crt was programing like the rest of the slower computers. We changed back to the LCD and it was faster again. HHmmmmm, Plot thickens.

Thanks again.

Smiley, I don't think the CRT has anything to do with the speed. If anything, most Lcds have lower refresh rates, which may cause slight visual artifacts, but not necessarily slow it down. Sounds like the video driver should be stripped out, including remnants left in the registry and any folders, then reloaded when switching monitors. You might also want to try using an older driver version for the CRT. I,ve got a 21" HP p1230 CRT side by side with a Acer 22" widescreen. The CRT blows away the flat screen on the refresh rates in the gaming arena, but I don't believe that would effect Cad performance. You gotta love the vibrant colors on the flat screen though.

As far as the mystery P4 goes, we also have one that moves along real nice with a cheap video card in it. I'm using a Intellistation with a core 2, 3gb, Quadro 3400, and it appears to be only marginally faster than the P4 with 1gb of ram in it. I'm gonna reformat the drive on the IBM, strip all the fluff out of the OS, and see if that helps with performance.