Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis question and help

Quickmike

We have the stock haas posts that come with Mastercam. Will one of these and a 4th axis allow us to put the groove in hte part I have put up on the FTP. It is called 1.5 bending die.

I would like to do this with surfacing programs. We have a Haas VF-6 vertical spindle machine with a 4th axis. I would to get the 4th axis turning and have 1"ball rough and finish the grove. It definitly is really a lathe job but we don't have a cnc lathe large enough and we have a little time to learn so I was hoping to teach myself with some help how to do this. I'm open to any and all comments. bdie.jpg

Many different ways to approach a part like this. 1st yes the stock HAAS post supports 4th axis so good there. You could use axis substitution. You could use the roll die chook. You could use the 4th axis tool path. You could use many of the 5 axis toolpaths in a 4 axis output. What version of Mastercam do you currently have? Thad's Sticky applies here. What Level of Mastercam do you have? Do you have the 5 axis Module?

How about creating curves of the walls, unrolling them flat, creating the radius and using a swept 2D wireframe path and then using axis substitution to roll the cut back up.

take the edge curves from intesection of the groove wall and OD

offset/copy them out an inch

use them as chains to drive your swarf cut

use the spherical surface for tip control

set the toolpath to rotate about X

and your done

I did a file for you in the time I did my 1st response to now. It is called CRAZY 1.5 BENDING DIE.MCX I hope this gives you some ideas. I separated out just the die surface. You can merge your file into this one and see it all together if you like. sorry for not zipping we are to cheap to buy winzip here.

HTH

Ron, I looked for it on the FTP under the MCX2 but with no luck. Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty good with 3d surfacing programs but have no experience with multi axis stuff. I've always wanted to be able to do it though. Is this a good project to try and learn it on? Just curious if I'm headed in the right direction.

Put your part with the rotary in "X". Move your WCS to wherever you want the zeroes to be. Use Advanced Multiaxis, 5 Axis Multi Surface. Machine it in lanes and climb mill in one direction. Go thru the screens carefully, like most features, it has a tendency to bomb, but when it works like it's supposed to you don;t have to worry about a million work arounds and creating a bunch of geometry to do a simple cut. Play with the lead in and lead out, it's not quite what it seems in verbage.

If your flat ends up in front, just change your plane to front and cut it normally with no extra work to do, the code will be right. Use simple roughing and contouring and all will work easily.

cheers.gif