Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas probing option

ATG

Just wondered if anyone is using the optional probing with their haas machines? Also if you are do you have the standard with the tool post or do you have the advanced with the laser. Any pros and cons would be great. I'm trying to decide if I should get this option and if I do which one should I go with.

Thanks again,

Seth

At the previous shop I had the probing option on all the VF series machines I had. With the VQC (Haas Visual Quick Code) it made use of the probe very simple thru their pictoral interface. Didnt have really any issues with it cept for the occasional crack of the stylus.

I would recomend it. That was an OMP probe, good enough for likely most VF machines...

I use it a lot while doing 5 axes when I need to get concentricity or preposition extending trunion accuracy .

Works like charms

I use it with parametric programming transfering probe results to change appropriate homes like G55 or G56

Instead of using boring bar I can mill one hole

turn b axis 180 degrees and probe it

The results I use to mill second hole

I get 100 % success using renishaw probe in things like that

We must be stuck in the stone age. Some Okuma lathes have presetters, dont use them. On our Haas Vertical Mills all tools are touched off on the part, "we have a tool setter in the toolroom". At least our Okuma HMC's are using the toolsetter on there machines. Biggest problem I think is that the guys in charge of each department have worked here for about 15-20 years since we opened and are resistant to change. I dont know how many times I've heard that "its just as easy and fast to touch the tool off in the machine" "there's only 5 or so of them"

I have tool probes on both of my lathes. I had never used one before. I didn't use them for a long time. they are expensive ya know...

Didn't want to crash it. Now I couldn't get along without them.

My ne xxxxisontal is comming with tool prob and spindle probing. My new Y axis lathe is comming with a tool probe...

Good stuff.

quote:

I think is that the guys in charge of each department have worked here for about 15-20 years since we opened and are resistant to change. I dont know how many times I've heard that "its just as easy and fast to touch the tool off in the machine" "there's only 5 or so of them"

Oh what I would give to be the fox in THAT hen house

biggrin.gif