Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Placing Tool on Toolpath

McRae

Is there a way to just pick on an arbitrary point on a tool path so that the tool graphic will be placed there to check for interference? I can do this in other cam software and need to know if this same functionallity exists in MC9-L3. And the answer is No - I do not want to create aditional geometry (that's the design guy's job!)

in backplot you can select save as geometry and have show tool also selected and lastly do not have it interpelate(sp)... just plot endpoints.

I think this may work if not you can try interpelate(sp) make the new goemetry a diff color so you can delete when done measuring.

In the backplot, if you make the toolpath's geometry. watch out if you have a hughe routine going. You will end up going back and deleting a bunch of crap left over. I feel your pain though, there is not a direct solution you describe with MC. However, it would make an extremely nice enhancement. (Especially without so many clicks.) As always with MC though, there are always more than one way to get what you want done. You could manipulate your toolpath. I do not know what version you are running, only create the path for that section. That answer sounds kind of vague, but I am sure you will figure it out.

quote:

Is there a way to just pick on an arbitrary point on a tool path so that the tool graphic will be placed there to check for interference?

I don't think you can specify an exact point on the toolpath to show the tool in 'Backplot'.

I usually will 'Backplot' to the area I want to look at( Step-Right click or Run-Press Enter to stop) Then go into 'display' and change to 'interpolate' and pick a suitable step size. Now I can step and backstep through the area of interest in any view. - Be sure to stop the backplot before you get to the area to look at, otherwise the display change won't take effect.

BerTau smile.gif

quote:

You can also dynamicly pick a location... Just right click on the input field inside the tool stop page.There is will ask you for X,Y,Z....And tons of other cool stuff to pick .....right from the drawing screen.

Another USEFULL UNDER-USED Funtion

Definitly usefull and under-used.

But I can't get it to work. (Ver 8.1.1) And the help menu doesn't help. Can you give instructions or tell me where to look for help?

BerTau

I'm going to have to go see Chris K at Cad Cam Consulting and have him show me. I can right click on the stop parameters and get a window with X, Y, Z, Rad, Points, etc. but then nothing happens. 'OK', 'Cancel', 'Help' don't do anything. I have to 'esc' out.

Thanks for the tip, though.

BerTau

Hi Guys,

I am having the same problem in that I can't get this function to work.

I am cutting a wall using a tapered cutter and I would like to stop the tool at a specific X location, and take a snapshot of the tool. I have surfaces of the wall, and I can create a surface of the tool from the tool wireframe. Than I can check for interferance, gap.

Kathy