Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Large peice of 304 Stainless to mill

machinedudester

I have to do a large detailed pocket in a piece of 304 that is 1"x40"x40". I have estimated cutting it with my BDX4000 at 14.0fpm and 1800rpm with doc at .05" a pass and the machine time ends up almost 50 hours. Does anyone have a lot experience machining 304 and can tell me if this is a good approach? I am concerned about the tolling holding up for such a long time. headscratch.gif Thanks!

how about a mitshibishi 3" ajx cutter. We cut 316 at .050 doc, .025 feed per tooth at approximently 800 rpms which equals 80 ipm. I know we have ran this at 100 ipm in 316 with out any problems, I just can't remember what the spindle speed was at that at that feed rate. We ran dry on a Matsura 630 with a bt40 taper.

I hope this helps. I do know the insert life was good we were using a grade vp30rt cutting dry.

WHen I get in tommarrow if I can find some of my notes I will post them

So you do not think that the BXD4000 is not a good tool choice? We would have to buy a new cutter or use a carbide end mill, which I am concerned will not hold up long enough. It says it is recomended for stainless and there are stainless grade inserts for it. I have lathed 304 before but not milled it. As far as warping goes, the material will be pre-ground to finish thickness, and the ribbed pocket is all one one side of the part. So I cannot flip the part.

It'd do well for some shouldering and finishing but not roughing. Those are fairly high positive inserts, and any heavy/interrupted cut will send them flying.

Now, 50hr cut time in this material would be hard to achieve no matter the tool, so you might want to rethink your approach. I'd try different roughing tool and divide your cycle into several steps and so on...

I also doupt the BDX cutter is the way to go....if the part were alum, it would be a no brainer. I also have had good luck with the AJX cutters in stainless.

with that big of a pocket....I would expect the part to go into a taco shape after you rough the material. Stainless is not exactally what you would call stable.