Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Works or Mastercam?

bassn_07

At my work I have the option of drawing up parts in either Solidworks or Mastercam. Is Mastercam comperable to Solidworks for creating solids or should I spend the extra time to learn Solidworks. Just trying to utilize my time effiently and if Mastercam is more then sufficient for my needs that would be my preference. I just don't know Mastercam well enough to make that decision right now and that's why I'm relying on the experience of the members here to help me make a decision.

In my opinion you should do four things:

1. Learn Mastercam solids.

2. Learn SolidWorks

3. Try importing a non-native solid part model into SolidWorks and doing some serious modification to it. Also, try to figure out and modify someone else's SolidWorks design in SolidWorks.

4. Read and understand the following article which explains why parametric-history based solid modelers fail miserably at task number 3 (above) and lays out what the better technology is:

http://tinyurl.com/59qak8

"Is Mastercam comparable to Solidworks for creating solids"

No, its not.

"or should I spend the extra time to learn Solidworks"

If you do very much solid modeling, it will be well worth learning Solidworks. Mastercam plays nice with Solidworks so file translation is not a problem. I can't remember the last time a Solidworks part came in with even a small problem.

Mastercam Solids will certainly work, I use it for small changes and such, but not for any significant amount of work.

Dave

Neilj .

You are an idiot .

Who asked you about Solidedge ?

If you don`t know the answer ,just keep quiet .

bassn_07

I use Mastercam Solids for everything .

Just no need to use Solidworks if you do not model very complex things .

From the other hand ,Solidworks models can be

imported without problems too,

In X3 if you have both on the same computer

than you can import file with histtory

How is Solidworks learning curve? I've been doing the Streaming Teacher Mastercam online video tutorial and it seems solids is fairly straight forward, Is SW the same? I've told by one of the other programmers that it's difficult and I should just stick with MC. Then again this guys uses SW and never wants to show anyone squat...I hate guys like that. I'm not sure what version we have, but I think it might be 2007. Is there a difference between 07 and 08, as far as the compatibility goes? One last question, are there any good tutorials on SW similar to Streaming Teacher? Thanks for all the quick replies and everybodies opinion is valued.

It depends enitely on the complexity of the project. For simple stuff, I'll just draw some wireframe, toolpath it and move on..

I usually do all my lathe work in Mastercam

wireframe..

though that would change if I was doing complex mill/turn stuff..

Anything that needs a solid is done in SW..

The bottom line..

Mastercam is a CAM package with a solids add-on

Solidworks is a dedicated design packagae..

"How is Solidworks learning curve?"

Very steep if you do very advanced parts and assemblies because of the extremely complex file relations parametric-history based CAD like SolidWorks creates. There really are no tools in SolidWorks to manage these complex relations with the exception of a low level tool like a roll bar.

This product was an attempt to deal with this problem.

www.solidmap.com

It leaves a lot to be desired.

Suggest you thoroughly read the link I provided above which lays out what the problem is with parametric-history based modeling and what new and better technology is that doesn't have the problems that parametric-history based modeling does. If you missed the link I put it below:

http://tinyurl.com/59qak8

"One last question, are there any good tutorials on SW similar to Streaming Teacher?"

Yes.

www.myigetit.com

www.solidprofessor.com

Both offer excellent video tutorials on SolidWorks. I own the $600 SolidWorks Professional video training package from SolidProfessor. It was well worth the money.

After using multiple CAD systems solidworks by far rhe easiset to learn. The built in tutorial is very easy to use and in 2 hours or less you will know how to do basic models. You really can not compare Mcam Solids and Solidworks.

Niel, like Mastercam being in the number one CAM spot for years and growing and for obvious reason, Solidworks has been the number one growing CAD package the last 6 years straight, and really do not see solidedge EVER at say 60% of Solidworks. The other reason to learn solidworks is because if you want to move on in employment the combo of MasterCam and solidworks is almost gaurenteed employment looking at the big picture.

There is not a big CADCAM revolution in the works.

The number of users that can accept the few limitations of the software are very few to those who know how to do what they want with the software.

"There is not a big CADCAM revolution in the works"

It's already begun:

PTC acquired Co-Create.

Siemens purchased UGS and accelerated the development of Synchronous Technology.

Mike Payne co-founder of PTC and SolidWorks started SpaceClaim.

Parametric-history based modeling still has the same problems it had when it was introduced 25 years ago by PTC with Pro-E. To this day parametric-history based modeling users are still forced to remodel parts and assemblies from scratch because parametric-history based modeling doesn't give the user the badly needed tools to understand someone else's design intent and it doesn't give the user tools to work with non-native solids.

quote:

Would it be better to go with a later SP version of 2007 then a new one of 08

I did have issues with SW08x64 and Toolbox.

Once I switched to SW08x32 I had no trouble with it..

Either SW07 or SW08 requires a pretty strong computer to run properly..

I installed and used all 4 of the SW2009 betas

with no trouble at all. SW2009 is currently at

PC1 ( production candidate 1)

SW2009 is much faster than previous versions,

especially when you're running large complex

assmblies..

I don't know if there will be a PC2 or an

EV (early visibility) release.. but I expect

on or the other next week..

Licensed users with current maintenace can download and install the curret PC1..

but I'd recommend a new user go with SW08 and let

SW09 evolve into a formal release..

[ 08-31-2008, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

FWIW, learn Solid Works. If you do, get good at it, it opens up a lot of opportunities for you. If you ever need to make blueprints beyond making notes, SolidWorks is a CAD package so it will accomplish that task much easier. Now with that said, and like some have said, if you are just doing simple parts, it may not be necessary. Never turn down an opportunity to learn something new and grow professionally.

JM2C

Oh, don't EVER listen to a word Jon Banquer/NeilJ (or his other numerous aliases) says. That's good solid career advice.

quote:

Oh, don't EVER listen to a word Jon Banquer/NeilJ (or his other numerous aliases) says. That's good solid career advice.

That is good advice from James.

Even if you dig through and find one thing, just one thing that just "might" be a valid. Tread carefully because going down that path, you will likely end up picking a lot of **** out of teeth and get left with an extremely bad taste in your mouth.