Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

feed speed for boring bar

ken wong

spot drill, drill .531, use 1/4 2 flt dataflute endmill with .250/.375 loc and flat-bottom with G81, then helix bore with same endmill to .560 dia, now bore with 1/4" carbide bar using 2500 rpm and feed 5 ipm, don't let boring bar go 1.400 deep only go 1.399 dp.

do test cuts on setup part or scrap material first and adjust boring bar till just right

hth

Tenth Set Boring Bar most important.

Carbide Boring Bar 2nd thing needed.

Very positive cutting Insert. Kaiser make a good system this small.

.0001 reading internal Micrometer would be a huge help.

.557/.559 regrind 4 flute endmill to help you hold true position and get the hole a normal size before boring.

I would use Kersoene or WD40 to do the holes.

Probably start at about 800 to 1000 rpms and .35 feedrate per inch.

HTH

What kind of problem are you having? Holding the size or chatter or both?

+/-.0002 is not all that tight.

Make sure you're not rubbing the material, but actualy taking a cut. If you have chatter then make sure you go underneath it to get rid of it.

I prefer to do 2 passes per hole that size using G75 cycle (bore in/ orientate/ rapid out) because even carbide will deflect a little bit.

I always found that 1000 rpm @ 1 IPM is pretty good area to start no matter what kind of material I'm cutting.

Also a good quality boring heads and bars make all the difference. We use Urma brand.

We have an Iscar Boring head with the available attachments. With it you could just use a standard bar and insert. We consistantly hold a +.0002,-0 hole with it.

On our mills, its G76 for feed in, orient, shift and rapid out.

Oh, and don't load the boring head in backwards.

David