Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Keyspan usb to serial adaptor problems

Robert Ouellette

I just got a keyspan usb to serial port adaptor and i can not get it to communicate with my machines. is there some settings i have not found or tricks or tips to get it working? we are swamped at work and i need to drip feed large programs and still send programs to our other machines so i desided to bring in my laptop to either drip feed or to send to the other machines while main puter is dripping. but i need to set it up to work. i tried to set it up 1 morning this week and the boss was not too happy with me wasting my time and not getting it to work. so any help well great..

bob

quote:

the boss was not too happy with me wasting my time and not getting it to work.

Yeah sounds about right get pissed at someone who is trying to improve the company. I would contact who you bought it from and ask them to provide you with some assistance.

I can not understand the can not see the woods for the trees mentality.

Good luck.

millman i understand you. it was not like i did not have 2 of the 3 cnc mills up and running while i was fiddling with the 3rd. but you know how it goes.

as for what type of machines i have : i have a fulland with a mits meldas 520am control, a matsuura with a yasnac mx2 control, and a leadwell with a fanuc control. can not send or recieve from any of them.

i am using the keyspan adapter that has been recommended many times on this board and the same setting i have on the main puter that does work with all machines. but i am using a 9 pin to 25 pin converter between the keyspan and my comm cables to the machines. is that ok? or should i be making up a cable 9 pin one end and 25 pin other end? if i have to i will do it. only 10 mins of wiring.

hopefully this extra info helps someone figure out m problem and find a sollution

thanks

bob

I tried 2 different USB to Serial adapters and couldn't get either to work. I ended up installing a serial card for my PC instead, but obviously thats not an answer for a laptop.

If you are looking to transmit with something other than your PC, Calmotion has a DNC box that reads from a USB memory stick (load program onto USB stick then insert it into the Calmotion box).

You did look to see which com port the serial port was? For compatibility we have all our posts and PC's set at com 1. The laptop serial card started as com 4 so I reset it to com 2. Com 1 was taken and the serial card was assigned a different com port whenever we pulled the card for transport so I sometimes have to go to device manager and reset the com port if I take it home over a weekend.

Believe it or not, I used the Keyspan USA-19H serial port adapter to load sounds and change configuration settings on my large scale, radio control, 1/20.3 model steam engines. I found it to be very quirky to say the least and they are not cheap! You DID load the drivers that came with the adapter software, I assume? I didn't have much luck with it and went back to using the straight serial cable.