Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam on Linux

Rob @ Target Machine

It is becoming painfully obvious that Microsoft has all other software developers scrambling to be compatible with the latest release of "Windows".

I am putting the "absurd suggestion" out there that maybe our efforts might be more fruitful to invest in "cross platform" compatibility.

Mastercam has the opportunity to lead the way, and tell Bill Gates he has yet over-stepped our boundary's once again.

We do not have to be slaves indebted to the Microsoft corporation.

If Mastercam could become distributable over many different platforms, it could be potentially opening more doors than it might close.

The Linux community is growing at a staggering rate, and the "Open Source" community as a whole is more than willing to provide a "developer friendly" platform to run software on, and is striving for "Freedom" from such people as Bill Gates.

I am dying to hear what everyone else thinks about Mastercam getting rid of the "ball and chain" and joining the "open source community".

Going "Open Source" doesn't have to mean "Free Software".

It simply means "Freedom of Software".

Who else thinks there has got to be a better way?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i run Ubuntu on my personnal PC and it's 1000x better than XP or vista

my little 1.7ghz 512ram Dell inspiron2200 laptop run faster and smoother for only 0.00$ than my work station with dualcore 3gb ram and all the $$$$ in licences

please find the problem ?!?!?

i am 100% sure that mcam will run 2 or 3 times faster on linux

I've been using Linux since the mid 1990's, long before the general populace ever even heard of it and currently run Ubuntu Linux on a computer at home once in a while.

On the desktop Linux is a toy for us hobbyists at best. On servers it's a fragmented mess with the zillions of different incompatable distributions available.

If you want UNIX done right on the desktop look no further than Mac OS X, the current version being Leopard. OS X is built on the open source Darwin Mach Unix kenrel, and open source FreeBSD userland. Sitting on top of the certified by the Open Group UNIX on Mac's is the extemely well designed and superbley elegant Aqua graphical interface. I've got two shiny new iMacs at home I wish I could run ALL the software I need on. If it weren't for CAD/CAM software (Cimatron and Mastercam) I'd have no reason at all to use Windows.

If Mastercam were to be ported to another platform *I'd* like to see it run on a Mac. This could become a reality if the current trend of Microsoft losing market share to Apple keeps up. (thanks to Vista) We'll see what happens when Windows 7 hits the market.

On servers, the BSD's (Free / Open & Net) smoke Linux for hardware support, performace and stability. Plus they are extremely well organized and documented. But that's the scope of an entirely different subject. smile.gif

quote:

On servers, the BSD's (Free / Open & Net) smoke Linux for hardware support, performace and stability. Plus they are extremely well organized and documented. But that's the scope of an entirely different subject.

And with PCBsd even a semi computer novice could have it up and running in under an hour. KDE4 is a bit of a system resource hog imo.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...That would be just what Bill Gates deserves...

Sure, villify the guy that gave us compatability with each other. That's real smart. cuckoo.gif

Say what you want about Bill Gates, Microsoft, et. al. But I for one am grateful for what he/they have done. I do not miss the days when setting up a new computer (hardware and OS only) took a full day or longer depending on the number of perpherals. Sorry, I don't miss the days when my Kaypro 10 could not share files/programs with my Epson, that could not share programs with my Commodore 64. Bill Gates and Company gave that to us. You should be thanking him, not villifying him.

I'm not saying the time for a new OS that is more stable, more secure, etc... i not now, because it is. I just think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

JM2C

A lot of young guys take a lot of stuff for granted.

Remember all the fun, trying to get a new com

board installed in an old XT machine running DOS?

I can remember spending days tweaking interupts

and pin switches, getting a comm boardd running only to discover I broke something else.

Nowdays, you plug them in and they work.

There is a lot that's wrong with Windows, but there is an awful lot that's right.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You are not kidding gcode. The new stuff just works for the most part. With USB, we can now plug in like 255 devices on a daisy chain WITHOUT having to configure IRQ's, sett up config and INI files, etc...

Thank you Bill Gates. I for one appreciate what he has done.

Parallels Desktop for Mac will run MS Windows in a VM on OS X. But running software in a virtual machine comes with some performance hit therefore you're always better off, in the case of CAD/CAM applications which are heavily CPU and GPU intensive anyway, running your applications in the native environment for which they are written.

OS X does come with Bootcamp installed by default. Since Macs now use Intel CPUs Bootcamp allows Microsoft Windows to easily be installed side by side with OS X. However, I can not imagine myself ever doing such a thing because that strikes me as downright sacrilegious. eek.gif

[ 12-15-2008, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Anubis ]

quote:

Doug teh 35 year old youngster. My first puter had windows os

First computer I used was in high school where it was nothing more than a terminal from which we dialed the mainframe at a local univeristy with a standard rotary telephone which the handset then got placed into a 150 baud accoustic coupler to complete the connection. Our programs were then uploaded from the cards we punched them on and the results were either printed on the terminal or the teletype printer.

And I'm not as old as you might think, either. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Regardless of who invented what and when and to whom the credit was taken/given, it was Microsoft that made computing universal. IIRC it was only recently that Apple finally opened up their hardware (MUCH to their detriment)... like WIntel has been since the beginning... rolleyes.gif Does Apple even have 10% market share yet? It's STILL a fringe OS, and Linnux is pretty much relegated to tinkerers (as anubis pretty much stated).

CNC Apps Guy teh 38 year old geezer that had his computer in 1978.

With RAM getting to the size it is, It's almost getting worthwhile to kill the swap file alltogether and just keep everything in RAM. I'm looking forward to getting a SSHD (Solid State Hard Drive). That should help performance.

quote:

My point is that he should lose the game since he stole an cheated Apple out of what was really intellectually theirs. How did that get forgotten?

What's the matter? You don't appreciate all the spam and malware being distributed from botnets running on millions of compomised Microsoft Windows computers around the world today? Compomised Windows computers where half baked security was bolted on as an afterthought instead of being designed in from the ground up like it is on decent OSen?

Yeah, that's what I thought. wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...You don't appreciate all the spam and malware being distributed from botnets running on millions of compomised Microsoft Windows computers around the world today?

Once OS X(sp?) and the other os's becmoe worthwhile targets they will become hacked. NOTHING is impervious to guys living in mom's basement with their blowup dolls as girlfriends.

quote:

Once OS X(sp?) and the other os's becmoe worthwhile targets they will become hacked.

That's only speculation and has yet to be seen.

While it's true social engineering has played a large part in this, Microsoft Windows total lack of any security by default for the better part of an entire decade has contributed much more to the problem.

How many people here run thier Windows computers with administrator privleges?

Now, how many Linux or BSD users login and use thier computers as root?

See the difference?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once OS X(sp?) and the other os's becmoe worthwhile targets they will become hacked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's only speculation and has yet to be seen.

People are people, and when the target is worthwhile it will be hacked. It's only a matter of time.

quote:

...How many people here run thier Windows computers with administrator privleges?...

Very true. Unfortunately, the way in which MS handles it's security makes the computer about good for Word Processing and that's about it (exaggerating a bit, but not much). I remember when I worked for a company that had strict controls (and this was on an NT workstation), it just sucked. I could not get the machine tuned up without calling IT. Pain in da arse it was.

quote:

old news OS X hacked

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004198.html

newer old news on patches for OS X

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1787

quote:

People are people, and when the target is worthwhile it will be hacked. It's only a matter of time.

iphones hacked

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/iphone-20-alrea.html