Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peck Tapping

cncfrank

Hi all: I've read here that Mazaks are capable of peck tapping. We are trying to tap some pretty tough steel, and are going thru 1/8 - 27 nptf taps like crazy. I suggested a peck tap cycle, and they had never heard of it before. Does anyone know the code that's needed to do it on a Mazak Matrix control ?

Thanks,

Frank

Here is a sample from our Mazak with Matrix control;

quote:

(T11 .500-13 UNC-3B MOD TAP)

(TAP HOLES)

()

N11 T11 M06 T12

#3901 =#4114

G90 G80 G00 G17 G40 G98 G49

/7 M33 (LASER ON)

/7 G65 P9862 B1. T11 S3000

/7 M34 (LASER OFF)

G91 G28 Z0.

G00 G90 G54.1 P1 X-2.3600 Y2.3537 A-74.264 C-180.

S80 M03

G54.2 P1

G43 Z18. H11 M08

G84.2 X-2.3600 Y2.3537 Z12.5763 R13.6763 F.0769 Q.1

Y.1957

X2.3600

All you need to do is add the Q value (peck amount) into your G84.2 rigid tap mode.

If you have a weldor with a clue, have him add extensions to standard taps. If not, find one.

Jokisch tapping paste is as good as Moly-Dee if not better. I machine a lot of tough pre-hardened alloys like P20, DH2F, Viscount 44, 4140HT, etc and would never consider using water soluble coolant for tapping them. That'd be just asking for headaches of migraine proportions.

When you are saying using 13% are you talking about Blaser coolant ? If you are, right now we are at about 10. Thanks for all the replies. I found an emuge tap that might work. I'll kick up the coolant % and still not sure if our Mazak has peck tapping. The manual says nothing about it. We normally use G84, but have used G84.2, but have never added a Q to it.

I like the OSG exopipe if the material is hard enough.

last time we had heat treated 17-4ph (33 hrc)I used the 15 deg spiral type.

Ran about 50 holes with molly-dee and I see little wear on the tap.

I have also tried the exotap-mold but they cost more.