Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HELP!!!! i have to justfy Master Cam

buck30

Long story but some salsman from a competitor got a corporate pukes ear and wonts us to change to his product. Us users have to justify Master Cam. i am totaly selfish and don't wont to relearn wot i already know in another product. So from you mush more experienced users there give me some ideas i can use to justfy keeping master cam

TIA

Get all the programmers together and talk about it. Then find the toughest part you guys have programmed. Now take the print and/or model of that part and ask the salesman to program that part as an example of how easy their software is to use. Make sure the bosses are on hand for this demonstration. This usually kills most of these salesman pitch techniques. See how long it takes. Now ask the boss about spending the money on 5 new seats of software versus spending that money as a downpayment on a new machine.

[ 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: iowajim62 ]

In a galaxy far far away , I worked for a company that used Applicon Bravo. Bravo was the pc based Compact II from the days of yester year. Compact II was state of the art before personal computers came along. It actually was pretty darn good at driving tools. It handled some things back in the early 80's better than Mastercam. For instance you could pick a #5 centerdrill and tell it what diameter chamfer you wanted and it figured out the Z depth for you. Damn good lathe roughing routines as well. I digress. Anyhow Unigraphics bought out that software and snuffed it. No more upgrades, no more support. We had to get another CAM system. We looked at Edgecam, Esprit and Mastercam. My boss and I visited a place in this area that makes dental equipment. They were using Esprit for production but the guy in the mold shop was Mastercam all the way. (Never did get to talk to him). The Esprit looked impressive. I asked one of the programmers if he was happy with the support he got from them.He then locked eyeballs with his boss and admitted that they did have a few glitches with support. He said one upgrade wiped out a bunch of sorce files but that the support folks were pretty helpfull "once you got to know them". That was enough for me to recommend Mastercam.

Just this evening I had a problem with Mastercam X3-mu1. I was drafting out a new file and I could not get it to make a line between two intersecting lines no matter what I tried. Finally I shut it down and started up again. Like majic I could now construct this simple line. This is not the first time something like this has happened to me. I learned on version 9.1 and sometimes I miss it. I like the new high speed core milling etc. when everything works like it should. I honestly just wish they could kill some of the bugs. I agree with others about the drilling on different z's. Old Compact II had that working better than Mastercam X3.

Unless Esprit has gotten a WHOLE lot better, I'd still go with Mastercam.

smile.gif

not sure if it matters what your using to program with if it is working (gettin the job done) changing systems is a pita. better be a very good reason or it will take all your profits out rather quickly during learning curve and transition.

now is not the time to do that imho.

quote:

Bravo was the pc based Compact II from the days of yester year. Compact II was state of the art before personal computers came along.

I thought I was the only one old enough around here to remember compact II....only I was using it in the 70's....yeah those were the days...now where did I leave my teeth ?????.. headscratch.gif

never mind me...just adding to post count...

quote:

compact II

I had one company that wanted to hire but they could NOT understand why I didn't want to go backwards in learning technology.

In reference to the topic, make sure that the support you get is factored into your calculus of justifying the cost. If you can not get support for your software, then when you have problems and eventually you will, what is the cost involved in the downtime?

Chops, if you are ever jonesing for Bravo, come visit us... wink.gif

We have a couple of seats still running so we can convert the old Bravo dwg files to dxf so we can bring into MC.

Only problems we have with it is licensing is a PITA..

We also have Esprit. It is pretty good for wire, but we really don't use it anymore. Esprit sucks wif the libraries and DBs. mad.gif