Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hurco question

Reverend Turk

My boss is looking at purchasing a new lathe and a maching center. We currently have a Haas TL-1 and at my other job I run a Haas VF-3. I am comfortable with them but we have had problems with the TL-1 creating a profile using the IPS. We were trying to do something similiar to a pawn not using MC. My boss now feels that the Haas is useless unless we can program everything right at the machine.

So...what do you know about Hurco and can anyone give me a break down of Haas vs. Hurco?

DO NOT....I repeat..DO NOT buy a Hurco thinking the conversational programming is gonna do EVERYTHING

Edit: I can not compare because I've never ran a HAAS Lathe, but I severely DISLIKE the Hurco TM-8 that we have.

We might have got a lemon and others might not be as bad but we have had nothing but trouble out of this machine. I know all the Tech people personally because of this machine....they seem almost like co-workers because they are in the shop so much. rolleyes.gif

[ 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: murraymold ]

You get a Hurco ...you will be HURCOFIED....Former bosses made the mistake of buying one expecting to get one like the showroom floor model....what they got was a Bitsa ...they pieced together a machine that they were originally scrounging parts from to repair others in the area...Their logic was "It was faster to order new parts for the Bitsa and put it back together than to order a new machine" eek.gif

Your boss is correct, if you cant programm at the machine how can you check if the code from mastercam is right.

I always make sure a programmer can program the machine at the control before I let them start programming with any cam system. The parts only have to be simple parts.

I used to program a Hurco at the control for simple ops, and when something was a bit complicated, I would program it with mastercam. It actualy worked quicker this way. Toolroom work.

Yes, I understand all this. I agree but he feels that simple profiles like say, a pawn chess piece should be easily programmed via the IPS.

BTW, he does not like Mastercam at all. He seems to think things are much quicker programming at the machine. He is old school and wants to move into better technology but for him this is using IPS or conversational instead of g coding.

I've been exposed to 4 Hurco machining centers. We only had a problem with software, but after some software updates, the problems are now eliminated. All four of the machines were otherwise bulletproof. We have not had any quality issues with these machines. Haas does not match the same quality, but for the price, I've made alot of money with them. Haas does have templates in the controller that allow you to program parts while entering dimensions from your drawing, but it does not allow any cad data to be downloaded into its controller. That is the STRONG feature with a Hurco.

[ 05-06-2009, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: peon ]