Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 Setup Sheet

Ocean Lacky™

Very Spiffy........However.....

It seems that the screen captures are not ALWAYS from Mastercam! I started generating a sheet just to check out the new feature, watched it work for a few minutes and the came here to read for a bit til it finished up......

Instead of pictures of my part, this is what I got...

newsetupsheet.jpg

Yup,

don't open ANYTHING on top of it, it is taking "screen" shots NOT Mastercam shots.

Jrygus,

Are you using Vista?

There is a bug that has been addressed for Vista but not yet released

If we are going to go off on a tangent, then here goes.

I love X4. The dynamic planes/xform is the icing on the cake for me. Multy threading saves me time too. Trim divide is cooler now.

The problem with the beta process, IMO, is that everyone uses the software differently. Once everyone gets it then more bugs come out. As for known bugs, if it is late in the cycle and they are minor, then I say so what. Like the one above.

I think MC is a very good program other than a few minor issues, I am very happy with the results. wink.gif

So, please don't take offense to this for my original comment and this next statement are related to the software industry and not an attack on MC:

biggrin.gif

The software industry has done an awesome job (if you are in that industry) of grouping mistakes with enhancements. Furthermore, the industry has done a better job at convincing all of us that it's perfectly acceptable to have bugs and for us to pay for the fix of those bugs. Is that proper? Ask yourself an honest question: What other purchases do you make that you are willing to except paying for fixes? If you drive a new car off the lot and the oil leaks will you be OK getting a bill to fix it? In addition, would you not be upset that the manufacture had not tested the product sufficiently prior to release?

My statement was not meant as a rip on CNC. I know bugs happen and don't mind running software that is constantly changing. I like it actually. I was just a little disappointed the i will have to wait for another release to run a feature that i feal like i already paid for, running of a system that i believe is fully supported. If CNC had smaller updates that happened more frequently so i knew that a fix would be out soon, i would not have an issue at all. As it is, i will be ok with waiting or i have the option to go back to XP, and i am loving the enhancements of X4 so far. So please don't take my personal dissapointment of not getting to play with the a new function of software that i love playing with be interpretted as CNC bashing. I look forward to MU1!!

In Vista you need to right click on the X4 shortcut, go to Properties, tab to Compatibility and disable visual themes.

Restart Mcam and you should be good to go. The screen capture has issues while Aero is running.

There is other software that is affected by this, not just Mastercam.

VistaImageCap.jpg

[ 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Norbert Rajkowski ]

I don't have a lot of tolerance for bugs in the software either. How about buying a car and having the salesman tell you "yeah, the engine has problems and it dies here and there, but we will have a fix in six months or so. If you buy the extended warranty you can bring it back and we will make it run like a new car should. If you don't buy the warranty, well, are you good with a wrench?"

Isn't this what the beta testing program is for?

Cars and software are like apples and oranges. A car, and most non digital products, have a finite number of ways it which it could be used. The vast number of different hardware installations, various programs to install, and more and more open ended approaches for utilizing the software itself, make for infinite combinations, that can never be tested %100 to be bug free.

quote:

Cars and software are like apples and oranges. A car, and most non digital products, have a finite number of ways it which it could be used.

Sorry, but product testing is product testing no matter what the product. And cars too have software and many other very complex systems that need testing and prototyping. Like I said prior, the software industry has conditioned there market to accept these issues. Paying for maintenance should be only for upgrades, not fixes to a release already purchased.

quote:

Wasn't everyone warnned about Vista? Guess not..

If you'd read above, you'd have seen it's NOT a Vista "issue"

I run Vista successfully on EVERY system I run.

period

You right... I just get tired of hearing people jump the gun and make negitive remarks at CNC Software.

Some of these bugs; and there are very few I might add, are on us also. We didn't catch them either.

I won't open any other release than X4, unless I have to...

Active reports works perfectly fine in Vista. Any screen capture software works the same way as the one found in Mcam. That means, if you are trying to capture an image, it will capture what is the primary focus of the OS. So, if you are browsing the web, thats exactly what you will get as the image.

As long as Mcam is the primary focus and you have desktop composition disabled, it works perfectly fine in Vista. Other image capturing software I use, works the same way and needs to be patched.