Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Work seems to be picking up sightly...

Daniel M

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Any bonuses?

Yes, when we're profitable.

I think it's a fair tradeoff in my case. Slavery has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. Overall for me it's been pretty even for the most part and I don't mind putting hours in too often. Every once in a while though it would be nice to make some OT money but personally if I never worked more than 40 it would be just fine with me - even if I were hourly. I like family time.

[ 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: CNC Apps Guy 1 ]

Remember the Pontiac Fiero? That was a GM/Demmings affair that went terribly awry. Both pre and post war Japan were comprised of totally different work ethics and cultures than that of the US. Demming stepped in when there was nowhere to go but up and truth be told, Japan's rise in the manufacturing industry was meteoric prior to the war, given the size of that nation and its resources. Demming merely applied J.M. Juran's quality principals at the right time, in the right place and was elavated to the status of GOD by the QC Zealots of the 80's. The rush to get a QS9000 flag up the pole was on. More than two decades later, the average blue collar worker is poorer, STATISCALLY speaking of course, or is umemployed.

latheman,

That is a little harsh. There is

a lot of people willing to work,

that have no control over what is

happening with their places of

employment. Depending on the area

you live, there may or may not be

other options. I am blessed, where

I work we have quite a bit of work,

and some of the jobs are spread out

over several years. However there is

a lot of people around here willing

to work that can not find it and

are extremely frustrated. banghead.gif

Telling a man that is about to loose

his home and has to move his family

to try and find work, all the while

spending what retirement he has left

to make it happen that he is unwilling

to work does not sit to well with me.

You might want to rethink your statement

unless you have been there.

jm2c

years

first i would like to say im sorry if i offended anyone. let me explain. my iscar rep comes in every week and asked me if i have broken any tools most of the time i say no. so of course he cant sell us any tools that week which saves my company money. he told me about a guy that works for a large company that would break tools on purpose just because he knows they will buy more. these are the type peaple im refering to.

Just doing quick searches online, I've seen dozens of cnc programmer / machinist jobs posted. Anyone have any general opinions on if there really are good paying jobs out there?

Also wondering if job openings are the result of increased manufacturing orders/demands or if it's from people retiring?

quote:

the work ehtic from were i stand in the U.S. is quanity not quality.

Yup people (in general) want cheap prices first or Chinese stuff would not be taking over..Most companies want quality but so much of the time the low bidder gets the job, then the customer pours money into the tool to make it work and you tell them if you would pay more and buy a better quality tool in the first place and next time they buy a cheap tool again..aerospace and medical is probably different.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The companies that are looking that I know of are looking ONLY for top notch folks. As for salary, well, right now, companies probably have STACKS of resumes so probably NOT a job seeker's market right now.

Just an observation with some conjecture thrown in for good measure. biggrin.gif

quote:

The companies that are looking that I know of are looking ONLY for top notch folks. As for salary, well, right now, companies probably have STACKS of resumes so probably NOT a job seeker's market right now.

I've seen a couple new faces in the deburring and turning departments over the last week or two, and Mastermatch time sheets lying around. If you are looking for work the headhunters aren't a bad way to go, it's how I got where I am. They'll place you as a "temp" (which means less risk for the company in case you're a bad apple), and usually after six months the company will make a decision to hire.