Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 REFINE TOOLPATH, SMOOTHING

DavidB

Why dont you use "Best" surface quality for your finishing?

You also have arcs turned on but in NO planes?

I ran my A66 last night with "BEST" surface quality and "LONG" NC program length and it ate it like ice cream,YUM, YUM

Cheers Dave

The filter also filters lines, not just arcs. I do not wish to filter using arcs. It is defective and WILL violate surfaces. I have sent files to QC who have seen the surface violations themselves. Their answer is that it is fixed in the next MU. I question whether it will really be fixed since I've seen this problem since vs.9. My finishes have been excellent using these settings and not sacrificing crunch times or extra code.

I'm kinda shocked we don't have more users chiming in this topic. Is anyone besides Dave and I experimenting with the toolpath smoothing? This option does work very well!

• 1 month later...

It will always maintain the total tolerance. (from what I've figured out, and I've played with smoothing quite a bit now).

Cut tolerance, arc filter, and smoothing tolerance added together equal your total tolerance. What is goofy is that you set the total tolerance on the page outside all the filter smoothing settings. It carries that value into this filter smoothing page, but greys it out.

hth

Peon: I'm kinda shocked we don't have more users chiming in this topic. Is anyone besides Dave and I experimenting with the toolpath smoothing? This option does work very well!

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...ic;f=1;t=034970

We're experimenting too - patterns and mold building. And after peon's help, are getting very nice surface finishes!

I have been loosening the tolerance a bit with improved finishes and faster crunch times. I changed my total tolerance to .001" and the cut tolerance to .0005" with excellent results and the tools fit fine when they are ready for assembly with minimal blitzing. I was originally crunching toolpaths with a .0004" total tolerance and a .0002" cut tolerance. I'm finding that it may have been unnecessary crunching with such a low tolerance.

peon

Member # 10077

posted 07-23-2009 09:25 AM

The filter also filters lines, not just arcs. I do not wish to filter using arcs. It is defective and WILL violate surfaces. I have sent files to QC who have seen the surface violations themselves. Their answer is that it is fixed in the next MU. I question whether it will really be fixed since I've seen this problem since vs.9. My finishes have been excellent using these settings and not sacrificing crunch times or extra code.

Try adjusting your arc tolerance in your control. X4 is supposed to automatically set this for you but if you do a migrated install it doesn't set its self. This problem has to do with your machine freaking out when it sees an irregular arc size in the toolpath.