Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STP file -solid to 2d profile

left coast lefty

Good Day

Make sure that the axis of rotation (plane) is correct for profile you are looking for

Tony G

CNCme Engineering

X Beta Site

SO Almost Employed Senior Prog rammer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

-------------------------------------------------

File open, select the stp file, click options and check the boxes solids and edge curves, ok and ok. After the file opens Delete duplicate entities, the icon with three erasers. If all you need is the outside profile and it is not already flat, click xform project and chain the entities that you want to be flat and type in the depth you want them at and click ok.

Thanks, cqualls, I know how to do it that way, but I was under the impression that 2D profile would simplify the process.

CNCme- I have one solid, top view, a part which amounts to nothing more than a simple flat disc with a symetrical scallop around it. The process produced a wierd shape over only half of the part. Do I need to create an axis?

Thanks guys.

Create-curve-slice definitely requires surfaces here, the prompt says "select surfaces or curves". I imported the STP file with only surfaces and got a similar jumbled mess that I got with Solid-to-2D profile. My guess is that I'm doing something wrong with plane selection. Could somebody describe this process a little clearer than the Help file?

Maybe I'm holding my mouse finger wrong!

Thanks to all once again.

Create curve slice is more for say cutting a part in half at a designated point. Not so much for creating a boundry on profile like Silouette Boundry dll.

For Create Curve Slice; Select surfaces or solid you want to slice then select the Plane selection button and entering location you want to cut part at/green check OK and then click (Apply) then green check OK.

When I tried slicing STL all I got were points where normally would be lines.

The silhouette boundary tool in X3 gives a profile that is usable for a containment boundary for surface toolpaths. It is not intended to give an accurate profile to be used for a 2d contour toolpath as it cuts corners and various other issues.

the X4 silhouette boundary gives much nicer results, get it installed and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Thanks for the info Roger! We have X4 ready to go, just waiting for management to give the go-ahead.

Dan-

It actually came out close enough just now. My first try was on the Demo at home. I should have known better. The outside chained continuously like I wanted, and the numbers look good.

Thanks to all again!